Google+ What I Made Today: Time in Garden & Kitchen

Monday, November 17, 2008

Time in Garden & Kitchen

I made my way to the garden and picked the last nappa cabbage today. Tomorrow I suppose I'll make a big-ass batch of kimchi and a nice steam with garlic and ginger to have with supper. It's beautiful, isn't it?
I made two small loves of whole wheat bread. It was a nice way to heat up the little hut as the sun leaned to the west. 
And here's a bit of my imperfect, yet beautiful TLC (tangerine-lavender calendula) soap. 
I made time to do a little research and learned that crumbly soap most often indicates a too-high a lye ratio, and that feels right to me. I also learned that I can re-melt the crumbs in a crock-pot to remold, so I'll try that experiment tomorrow. The actual experience of cutting the soap taught me that a knife is not a fitting tool, despite any logic to the contrary. Even the slight wedge shape of the knife actually facilitated the crumbling. I found that my dough scraper (or whatever it's called) to be far more effective for a clean cut. I also learned, or rather was reminded of the value of friendship. I'm in debt to my dear friend Kim for turning me on this beautiful alchemy. I'm already looking forward to my next batch!

Ashe. Ashe.

17 comments:

Divaeva said...

mmmm - I can almost smell your lavender/tangerine soap! It looks perfect enough to me! ;) blesseur

Divaeva said...

whoops - *laughs* the blesseur was the darn "word identification" but I suppose in a way you could be considered a blesseur...ok,cute but corney! *hugs*

Leslie said...

Wow, you had a great day! Everything looks so yummy! The soap looks fantastic

KrisMrsBBradley said...

Oh, I LOVE kimchi! Yum!

I posted about my brand spankin' new art journal if you'd like to check it out! You were a huge inspiration!

MyWayToSay said...

OH MY GOD !! and I haven't eaten anything at all today .... YAMMY!

Tammie Lee said...

I have been away from blogland for a week and it is fun to look you up and see the wonderful goodies you are making. That is one amazing cabbage!

Luthien Thye said...

ooooo the cabbage looks juicy, the bread looks warm and cosy, the soap looks gorgeous! the crumbly bits even makes it look authentic! *sigh* what more can you ask for... what a life... what a wonderfully creative, free and fulfilling life you have rose ... i envy you...

Cat in the Foxgloves said...

That soap looks good enough to EAT! Hmmmm, I've never had kimchi but grew the same cabbage. We just steamed ours and it was delicious!

Robin@creations-anew.com said...

Wow, you have been busy.....the bread looks delicious!!!
Robin
CreationsAnew

Home Deconomics said...

Such wonderful goings on in your kitchen! It all looks so wonderful. You inspire me to create wonderful things all year 'round instead of the just the fall. I get very domestic when the days get short :P

Crystal said...

That soap looks almost good enough to eat!

And what a gorgeous napa! We made slaw with one last night...with miso five-spice dressing and thinly sliced red peppers. Yum!

Anonymous said...

Everything looks so wonderful! I can't believe you had lettuce still growing, ours was finished months ago. Makes a lovely fan too!

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

manamoon - it's a Nappa cabbage, not lettuce ... BUT your comment inspired me to jump up, mutter "oh shit" and run out into the garden to get the LAST of the lettuce and some lingering arugula.

Thanks for that - it wouldn't have made it through another frigid night!

Anonymous said...

So glad I could help, LOL! If only I knew half of what you do about herbs and gardening, what a joy! All the best ~Sharon

Kim said...

I'm glad you melted and remolded. I'm not sure that was in my notes but, I've had to do that once or twice myself. The new cut batch looks great.

April said...

That bread looks yummy!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rose, Are you soaps and cranberry wine for sale? Your breads are making me drool. I embarrassingly admit I am jealous of your creative productivity! Be well, mel