Google+ What I Made Today: Thirty-four Years of Memory

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Thirty-four Years of Memory


Thirty-four years ago my Daddy passed from this life. It hardly seems possible that that much time has lapsed. Ergo my suspicions of so-called linear time. It hardly seems possible that my own sweet spouse is one year away from the age he was when he moved on. It hardly seems possible that I'm not much farther behind.

I still miss you Daddy. So, so much. I miss your calm-coolness and quiet way of working through the challenges of life. I miss the scent of your Amphora Red pipe tobacco (imagine that). I miss your voice quoting lines from Shakespeare. I miss you reciting The Cremation of Sam McGee. I miss catching you acting out and singing along with your opera records. I miss sharing wood-working time with you in your workshop. I miss mowing the lawn, raking the leaves, and sipping the occasional cola with you. I miss meeting you at the pool and "racing" you home - you in your Buick, me on my Schwinn. I miss shopping with you for the perfect gift for Rita, both of us silently knowing that it would be returned or exchanged for some reason or another. I even miss those (loathsome) family vacations we would take. I miss all these things, and more. I miss the brilliant snippets of life wisdom that you would share with me - even if I didn't get them in the moment. 

I miss you holding me and sharing your perfect love. 

Thank you Daddy ... for all this ... and so much more.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

what an awesome tribute to an awesomely great daddy :).

Luthien Thye said...

oh dear... such a touching tribute to a wonderful dad... you just made me cry...

Piggy said...

That's a really sweet post.. A very touching one in fact.. Thanks for sharing. I am sure your dad would be proud and he will always been watching over you like a guardian angel :)

Laura Rose said...

Sounds like a truly remarkable man.

BlenderBach said...

aw, so sad, yet a great post! thank you for sharing and reminding me our time together is precious.

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

What a sweet tribute to your Dad.

Kim said...

what a wonderful tribute to your daddy

My Inspired Reality said...

Absolutely beautiful - brought tears to my eyes and memories of my father too:):)

tarabu said...

That was beautifully written.

Divaeva said...

wonderful - *wipes a tear* beautiful.

Crystal said...

What a beautiful tribute.
Daddies are hard to loose....

UmaShezOya said...

The impression this man has left within your heart is as palpable as tiny bubbles tickling skin as they push up through the water to join the sky. I honor (and thank) you for sharing these joyful memories.
((Hugs))

Anonymous said...

This was beautiful, thank you so much for sharing. Your Dad sounds like a wonderful man, to be truly missed. Thank heaven for the way he touched your life.

Tammie Lee said...

Thank you for sharing such a tender tale with us. My heart and eyes are smiling!