Google+ What I Made Today: A Spirited Harvest

Monday, November 9, 2009

A Spirited Harvest


There's still plenty of swiss chard and kale in the garden, and that pleases me. I'll be able to continue harvesting the kale even in the snow. I did pluck the final few carrots and more dandelion root. I left the last of the cabbages in place for today since the weather is still cooperating ... the leeks too. I'll get them another day. But most of the sedum is cut back now, along with the bee balm, mints, sweet peas, peonies, and a host of other plants. Mulch was spread and my little acre is starting to look ready for winter. But as I cut back what was left of the Artemisia vulgaris stand I salvaged a bit of new growth, a final late-season offering to dry and use ... when the spirit moves me.

8 comments:

Divaeva said...

ah yes - today was indeed splendid! although I was working - I enjoyed my ride to Yorktown NY with my car top open, wind in my face... just alittle melancholy to see all the colors turned to greys and browns, leaves gone...but I do look forward to a snow covered drive...and then to prevent myself from banging my head on a wall because of my employees - ry and I went and did our WW1 studies to some season festive martini's at Burton's Grill *yum!* Pumpkin martini & Autumn Appletini's!

Nessa said...

I love the statues.

Blast from the Past

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

How nice that you are tucking your garden in for its winter's sleep! But it is not quite the sleepy-head yet and still has things to harvest!

Zom said...

Rose!

I love them holding their harvest.
xx

Bonnie Story said...

Wonderful picture. I always called Artemisia vulgaris "Mugwort" when I lived down in CA - my main use for it was to tuck some under my pillow for really amazing dreams - it never failed to launch some of those large-cast, technicolor, poignant dreams that I can still draw on today. But it's like Nyquil, after one day it doesn't work as well again for a little while, tee-hee! What do you use Mugwort for? I'm fascinated. I sure do love your blog and all of your inspirational offerings. So glad I found you.

Anonymous said...

i love how they hold the herbs, great pic x

PK said...

A very blessed day indeed.

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Thanks for the sweet comments everyone!

And yes Bonnie, A. vulgaris is commonly called mugwort in many places! I use as you do, in sleep and dream pillows ... but I also add it as a wonderful btittering agent to many of my brewbrews!