Google+ What I Made Today: Reflections in Popcorn Stitches

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Reflections in Popcorn Stitches

I published my first blog post on December 29, 2004. It's funny to think that I've maintained a public blog for seven years, and even funnier (in a very grateful way) to consider that some folks have been following it for almost as long, from ByRegion to MySpace to Blogspot.

Popping back to that first post, I'm reminded that I started blogging primarily for me - as a discipline in both witnessing and in writing. My secondary emphasis rested in a vague hope that what I shared might inspire someone else in some nurturing way.

Words took center stage those first four years. When I moved here in 2008 imagery quickly took over. This pleased me, and pleases me still, since I prefer visual stimuli and respond favorably to it in most every conceivable way.

Yet, I love words, for they, too, are powerful tools of expression … creative expression … healing expression. And as I conveyed in that very first post, "… diversity is at the heart of the people's medicine. We have choices. We have the will to learn about them. We have the power to choose. And we have the right to change!"


So today, I changed up my morning routine. The Boy was home and while he practiced guitar I taught myself a new crochet stitch, a popcorn stitch. I'm not sure what I'll do with this stitch, or what I'll make with it … but it's a form of medicine for me, and it's another choice, so I learned about it, so I can choose and change when the time is ripe. 




And this little exercise demonstrated to me, yet again, my propensity for the visual, given the source from which I learned this stitch.


That's what I made today. Peace.

11 comments:

Kim said...

Congrats on the many years of blogging. I enjoy your posts very much. Learning new things are what keep us young and make us fruitful.

Unknown said...

congrats.. SEVEN years??!! wow!! and that means i've known you even longer.... :)

Mami Made It said...

Congrats to your blog anniversary! Keep on going :)

Judy said...

I've seen this stitch used in sweater patterns...you will enjoy how it looks...

Congratulations on all the successful years of blogging...

SoCalWendie said...

Wow congrats on 7 years! And love the stitch by the way :)

Kim said...

Congrats on seven years!

Love the "new" stitch. I'm sure you will turn it into something even more beautiful.

Tammie Lee said...

ah, you have been blogging a longish time. happy happy anniversary to you. so lovely that i found you here in this ethereal realm.

so glad you are enjoying something new. lovely new year to you~

brandi said...

~may you have many more years of sharing your wisdom and world with us...you are a magical spot that has nourished my spirit and mind in the days prior...

as for "medicine" for months that is the dose of medicine i have given myself...theraputic and rewarding in itself even when you are unsure of where or what it may transform into...often loved ones will ask me "what are you going to make now" and i simply say nothing as i pull it apart and begin again...

happy belated holiday blessings and best to you and yours in 2012...much love and light shining bright~

Rachael said...

Love the popcorn stitch; sure it will come in useful when you least expect it. Congrats on Blogging for so long too...I thought I was doing well but you beat me.

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

Long time blogging! I'm glad our paths crossed. You seem to have a more calm existence than I do, and I enjoy following your "what I made" thoughts.

Jo-Ann Dziubek-MacDonald said...

Congrats on the blogoversary...wow!