Google+ What I Made Today: Repairs, Renewals & Plans

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Repairs, Renewals & Plans


A couple weeks ago I accepted a challenge from my dear friend, Annie. She gave me a old granny square afghan that she suspects her grandmother made. One corner had been chewed and four squares needed to be made, reassembled to the afghan and the trim crocheted to match the existing trim. I made a few practice squares to get the gauge and size as close as I could to do the repair. I did one repair, took it apart, did another, and while it's not as nice as I would like, I hope it will be passable to her. I have a few more minor thread repairs I want to do now. But for the corner repair, I'm willing to take it apart again and give it another go. I just felt honored to be offered the chance to do my best to restore a simple family heirloom.

But this challenge inspired me to make a traditional granny square afghan for myself. I have many yarn ends of many colors and it really is a charming way to use them up. I also had a collection of solid squares that I had made a year or two ago. So I've been crocheting squares of loving chaotic colors and have now begun to join them.

I'm looking forward to continue the piecing and I already love seeing how it's coming together.

Not only that, but today I received a sizable order of cotton yarn in a riot colors to create an afghan in the continuous granny square pattern. I'm really looking forward to starting that project … though I feel a tug to finish this one first. But hey, I can work on this one in daylight, which is best for joining black to black … and work on the cotton one in the evening while relaxing on the couch with The Boy.

Sounds like a plan.

That's what I made today.

Peace.

PS   Don't forget to play Win a Whimsy ~ the winner will be drawn and announced this Friday morning!

11 comments:

anna pereira said...

LOVELY job! I love those old throws ... and something about a genuine old one made by a grandma .... ahhh cozy :)

Kim said...

Love it! My knitting and crocheting skills are simple - I buy the yarn and give it to my mom. You should see the beautiful scarf she made me on her way to Florida. But, learning to knitt is on my list of things to do this year.

Holly Pia said...

Absolutely wonderful- as always you create awe and inspiration within my heart!

V said...

What an honor! And this afghan looks lovely! You remain one of my heroes in artistry.

astitchintime said...

That looks fabulous. You have 733t crochet skillz :)

Healing Woman said...

Sometimes I think you were were time warped here from another decade-maybe from the 30's or 40's. You excel at homemaking skills and there is no limit to your curiosity. I love coming to your blog-there is always something new and exciting here.

JDConwell said...

There is nothing like a granny square afghan, just nothing. You did a good thing for your friend! I have one that I made from scraps of all the projects I've made the kids and grandkids over the last several decades...enjoy the process, and have a blessed 2012!

Maiden Jane said...

Wow, you are ambitious! I like the look of granny squares but I have only made them a few times. I was always daunted by how many ends were needed to sew in!

Judy said...

My Grandmother also made those quilts...when she died, we spread them through the Grandchildren...who knows, perhaps this is one of them...nostalgia...

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

I think granny squares look particularly nice edged with black that way.

Anonymous said...

I'm so inspired by everything you do...this reminds me of my gramma Dolly ;-)