Google+ What I Made Today: A Shared Passion

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

A Shared Passion


This morning I received my copy of the HerbMentor News. I was struck by the serendipity of seeing Todd Caldecott's Food As Medicine audio course, since I had just been paging through, yet again, my copy of his book by the same name (It's one of those books I wander through often). As I scrolled down I was immediately inspired by Rosalee de la Forȇt's article on "How to Make Hyssop Oxymel." I had, apparently, forgotten about oxymels. I made some for the first time two years ago, enjoyed them, and apparently forgot to add them to my list of annual botanical creations. So I made up for this lapse by starting three today ~ anise hyssop, holy basil and clove. Just herb, honey and apple cider vinegar. So simple. So Good. So versatile. If you're interested in making your own, just check out Rosalee's article in this latest edition of the HerbMentor News

I realized, too, after making these oxymels that I was down to my last pint of good, local honey. I'm on the hunt now to replenish my stores. 




As I collected the leaf and bud for two of my three creations, the bumble bees were busy collecting pollen from the lovely, surreal, Dr. Seuss-like passionflower blossoms. Seems we shared a passion for the botanical world today, me and syster bumblebee.


And last, but not least, I made my way to the vegetable garden where I collected the fixin's for this evening's dinner ~ including my first zucchini.

That's what I made today.

Peace.

9 comments:

Phillip Allen said...

The things I learn from you -- like the existence of things called oxymels. You are remarkably regular with astonishing me, and for that I am most grateful.

Kim said...

I enjoy each and every morsel that that rolls from inside you. Can you please share more about oxymels, how do you use them, how long till they are complete?
Thanks

Karen Stewart Elliott said...

What a delight for the eyes and the tastes buds!
Can I have dinner with you? :-)

camrhyian said...

love that you inspire me. No, there is no making of oxymel in my future, but the things I learn that can be done with simple ingredients reading your posts are amazing... love you my beautiful Rose..

Ladytruenorth said...

Oh how wonderous: oxymels! I must try and make some - thank you for the in'spirit'ing rabbit trail today!
Blessings.

Unknown said...

Oxymels something new for me to look into. Thanks

Rick Forrestal said...

Fantastic photos.

Anonymous said...

Love the photos! Beautiful.

kelly hoernig said...

so jealous of your passionflower such an exotic beauty, who knew it had such wonderful abilities!