Google+ What I Made Today: Pickled Eggs

Friday, August 2, 2013

Pickled Eggs


Today I worked in the gardens, in the glorious mild heat of the August sunshine. I actually got to clean up the front yard bed a bit which, being mostly ornamentals, is the garden that gets the least attention.

I made time in the morning, when my little acre was still too damp from the evening rains, to work in a couple of art journals. Today was the first day in months I had two journals going and it felt good.

And before I headed out to the gardens and sunshine, I made another quart of pickled eggs. And I know someone will ask, so I'll tell you that I measure nothing. I mix some apple cider vinegar with water, sugar and salt, some garlic, black pepper corns and red pepper flakes in a pot. I heat it until it's just coming to the simmer and I pour it over the peeled hard-boiled eggs and cap them up to cool on the kitchen counter. Once cool they go in the refrigerator where rumor has it that they'll last nicely for months, if not years. I wouldn't know. These babies remind me why I want more laying hens.

That's what I made today.

Peace.

4 comments:

Ninib58 said...

I love that you're able to do all of those wonderful, wholesome, fun and fulfilling things that I did for so many years . I bet your ornamental garden is beautiful . It's also great that you put up food for later. I so enjoy reading about your activities, as you are helping to inspire me to garden by spring, at least, if I am unable to plant some late season veggies or greens . Thanks for sharing . ;)

Deborah Weber said...

Sounds like a deliciously wonderful day - gardening,art journaling, kitchen alchemy. I haven't had a pickled egg in years, and now you have me wanting to remedy that.

Thanks for stopping by my blog, and happy blogalong-ing.

Barbara Kocen said...

I think this is the perfect way to save those eggs when the "gals" are producing faster than you can use them! I also think a healthy version of egg custard is devine! Thanks for reminding me that it's time to pickle some eggs.....among other things! Wish you were closer...I'd love to share herbal stories with you whenever you're in the Ithaca area. You do have a cousin there, don't you? Ever go to the NEWHC in New England?

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Barbara ~ yes, Yes I do. On both counts, the cousin and the NEWHC!

We've met, haven't we?