Google+ What I Made Today: Sweet Deals

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Sweet Deals



















Merry first day of our shared calendar! Today turned into a kitchen day. Among other hearth tasks, I roasted one of my Long Island Cheese squashes. It's such a delicious garden gift. I used a generous quart in a farm-n-garden casserole that's in the oven as I type, and I'll have another four quarts to freeze. Sweet deal, that.



















I finally made a batch of Bliss Balls, or Balls of Bliss, as I'm prone to call them. They're a delicious winter Medicine that was shared by herbalist, Guid Masé at an autumn Connecticut Herb Association event. I used a modified recipe from a dear friend and fellow herbalist, Kim, which I, in turn, modified further. Not much, really. I didn't have maple syrup, so I used some of my own homemade black currant syrup. The only other change I made was to toss in a spoonful of roasted Maca root. These are so flippin' good. Three a day will support me and keep my immune system toned and tuned up through the rest of the cold-n-flu season. Sweet deal that.

Yeah. That's what I made today. Sweet deal.

9 comments:

Bird said...

You know, I know they're good for you but man, those must taste fabulous. I miss chocolate in any form. I can't eat it and haven't been able to for over ten years now. I am smelling and tasting those bliss balls in my my imagination, though. LOL ... feels a bit funny even saying it. :D

Dawn Hill said...

And the recipe is where?? ;) I personally have it but I am sure some of your readers don't. :)Love that photo of the squash-and love that variety even more.

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Dawn, both recipes that I mention are linked to the original sources on Guido and Kim's blogs.

Click on either highlighted test:
Bliss Balls
or
recipe from a dear friend and fellow herbalist, Kim.

Jane said...

Those Bliss Balls look soooo inviting, will check out the original source ! Wish you a happy and healthy New Year .

Sharkbytes said...

That squash looks yummy. I think I've seen that variety, but didn't know what it was called.

Katie Jeanne Wood said...

Here's to a healthy new year!! I hope yours is amazing. xo

Unknown said...

I just how we all tweak the recipes to make them our own. They look yummy. Almost time for me to make a new batch.

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Thanks for the kind comments!

These really are very good and Good for you, too. I hope y'all make them.

And yeah, Kim, I love that too! :D

Debbie said...

Sounds yummy! Smiling because time spent in the kitchen can be a source of nourishment, too, can't it?

:)