Google+ What I Made Today: Garlic Mustard Love

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Garlic Mustard Love


Wild foods are most often in their prime for only a short window of time and springtime greens of the second-year Alliaria petiolata, commonly called garlic mustard, are no exception. The ones on my little acre are just preparing to bloom, so harvest I must. Rain or no rain, in the only hours available to me. I pluck this "wild invasive" by the roots to manage its vivacious spreading and do my best to waste nothing.

The greens were rinsed and gently sauteed in olive oil with some fresh cracked black pepper, fresh grated nutmeg, fresh copped egyptian onion tops, and then covered to simmer-n-steam in its own juices until tender. Mere minutes. I spooned a bit liquid love off the top of the still-macerating garlic vinegar to add just before serving (for breakfast, no less). And this dish is equally tasty served cold, so a generous harvest is always worthwhile ~ in more ways than one.

I've really grown to appreciate this plant over the years.


As for the second year roots, I rinsed them well, brought them into the kitchen, dried them a bit, added them to my blender with some living apple cider vinegar, chopped it all together and poured it into a canning jar to (like the garlic vinegar) macerate for 6-8 weeks before straining and bottling. I'll be harvesting roots again in the autumn, of the first year growth, to make more delicious, nutritious vinegar and who knows what else?

And if you're wondering, the roots of this plant taste like a subtle horseradish. Yeah. Very tasty!

That's what I made today.

Peace.

8 comments:

Rick Forrestal said...

Yum.
Thank you for the menu ideas.
I love wild greens.

Great post.

Sharkbytes said...

Did not know you could use the roots. Good luck keeping it controlled.

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

You're welcome, Rick!

And Sharkbytes, I'm convinced that "control" is not an option, thus my choice of word, "manage." It's a constant activity, this relationship with garlic mustard, from spring to autumn!

Tammie Lee said...

ummm, sounds good.
in the wild world, all i have eaten is some dandelion greens and one violet... this season.

as i see arnica beginning to grow, i think of you ~

Valerie-Jael said...

You have me craving these tastes, they sound sooooo good! Thanks for sharing, Valerie

Unknown said...

My mouth is watering now

Dawn Hill said...

Not sure on breakfasting on this but, perhaps, dinner shall call. I keep thinking of drying it for soups, as well. Another thing on my list that grows daily. ;)

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Ah, yes, Dawn … those lists we keep do seem infinitely expansive!