Google+ What I Made Today: Laughter

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Laughter

Today the elements came to me, lovers that they are ... and they spoke to me ... they whispered in my ear ... and I shushed them ... and handed my better judgment over. Jackass. Don't get me wrong, there are times when surrendering to powers outsides of our own ARE gestures of value, gestures that yield outcomes of value. Today, however, was NOT one of those days. Or was it?

I handed my Knowing, my Better Judgement over to a clan that has demonstrated time-and-again, over years uncountable, a consistent pattern of indecisiveness that ... while benign in (or void of) intention, frustrates me to utter distractedness ... and all too often steers head-on into foolish chaos. 

And so it was today. A party was planned for my sweet mother-in-law-and-wonderful-friend to celebrate her 80th birthday. A winter storm was both predicted and showing signs of reality. The Boy called JUST BEFORE we were thinking of heading out, just to confirm plans. The party was ON. I looked outside and thought to myself, "Fuck That." But he figured that the weather must be more agreeable down the hill and south ... and why not? We often realize weather here on the hill that those a half-mile down the hill are oblivious too. So we headed out.

Jackasses.

Two hours later we were WALKING home, up the super-slippery hill, vehicle abandoned at the boat dock. 

The lesson? Well, there are unarguably more than a couple wrapped in the adventures of the day. One of them being: Don't shush The Lovers. And another:

And the party was cancelled. Apparently only moments after our confirmation call. Jackasses.

And I say that with love ... mostly ...

8 comments:

Unknown said...

oh ouch. im happy to know you and the boy are okay... hope the car is as well... xoxox...

Very Mary said...

You know what? I think you and my pal Tanya would be fast friends. Her blog post and your blog post have a very similar vibe today!

Here she is: http://www.noticiasdelafinca.blogspot.com/

Kim said...

glad you're OK

Anonymous said...

Oh I know EXACTLY what you mean! I had a recent experience, although not as adventurous as yours, where I ignored the voices...and yes, they laughed at me later! Lesson learned.

tarabu said...

tee hee - I'm so sorry you had to walk up the hill, but the story cheered me (and I might just have a little guilt that I drove out in snow yesterday morning and drove home in sunshine)

Laura Rose said...

oh no...that's a heck of a walk!

KrisMrsBBradley said...

I haven't been blogging lately, so it was so nice to catch up on yours! It's always a good read and an inspiration.

Melo said...

Hahahaha, you went all the way with the cursing! Good girl!

That sounded like the dream I had last night, of driving our old car (something I've swore not to do) and getting left out to walk home b/c the thing broke once again.