Google+ What I Made Today: A Sacrifice to the High Priestess

Monday, December 15, 2008

A Sacrifice to the High Priestess

I cut into a book the other day. It was my first-ever act of literary desecration. I ripped out a couple pages of lovely yet cryptic Italian passages as well as some beautiful images of classical art. The act was remarkably cathartic and I feel that a goddess of destruction and creation has been unleashed.

Today the boy handed over an old hard-cover science fiction book that he likely picked up at the recycling center. I ripped out some pages and primed others together. The cover got it's first coat of black gesso primer. 

Ahh ... creation through destruction.

As I ripped and painted the pages I thought of my friend Sherrie who clings to a self-declared debilitating relationship with books ... I thought of my friend Annie who gives birth to them ... I thought of how I've never been able to dog-ear a page to mark my place ... I thought of the third card of the major arcana, number two,  The High Priestess, a card that I've held dear for (too) many years. A part of me flipped back to the earliest chapters memory and I smiled a giddy smile of recreation. 

Is this what goddess feels?

No wonder the sun rises each day. 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! I totally feel your power. Even though the end result is beauty and art, I have never been able to do that to a book. Yet. You mention that it is cathartic. I can see how that would be.
Congratulations on breaking through!

Jessica
www.MomShots.com

Crystal said...

*shiver*

You're a braver woman than I.... I've thought about it, but the doing of it is a thing beyond me.

Cheers to you for opening to the creatrix that refuses to be stifled!

Unknown said...

im not so sure i give birth to books... i think i give birth to stories... the story is like the soul inside the book.. you can tear the book apart if you wish, but the story lives on... ephemeral, organic, and eternal, in a way that the physical form of a book can never be... as you so eloquently showed! and sure... come on over!!! any time!!!! (if there's an ice storm, bring the boy!!!! :))))

Cat in the Foxgloves said...

I've been tempted too....and I can imagine the power you feel. Maybe someday when I'm ready....

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Annie ~ THANK YOU for reminding me. :)

Anonymous said...

How absolutely fabulous that you've broken free and discovered a new part of you!

Anonymous said...

Too funny. I was already seeing me in the beginning of this... wondering, dare I try something similar...could I, will I change my relation to books? and then laughed long and deep at the next paragraph.... to see my name and a similar made connection in your thoughts!

Sherrie

Nao said...

Wow. Creation and Destruction, Indeed! It is a powerful thing you have done. I am cheering you on over here!

Zom said...

That last sentence sent a shiver up my spine.

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

To Zom:

Ah, the verve swoops across continents and time zones! (Merry summer, BTW!!)