Google+ What I Made Today: Rhubarb Preserves

Friday, June 1, 2012

Rhubarb Preserves


Today I made my way into the gardens. I planted more. I harvested more. Some of my harvest was more rhubarb, and I made some rhubarb preserves. I added organic, dried rosehips and orange peel and am pretty happy with how it came out.

And I have a surprise for you. I actually measured and noted what I did, so here's as close to a recipe I can offer:

Rhubarb Preserves 

16 c rhubarb, chopped
1/2 c dried rose hips
1/4 c dried orange peel
4 c cane sugar

Combine in a pan and bring to boil. Simmer until soft. Pack into half-pint/pint jars. Seal. Process in a hot water bath for 15 minutes. Let cool. Check the seal. And, enjoy, of course!

I also managed my final preparations for the lecture I'm offering at tomorrow's Connecticut HerbFest Country Fair. I'll be there all day tomorrow, so if you're in the area, stop by, introduce yourself (even if we know each other, it'll be fun!)  and join the merriment of HerbFest!

Sunday I plan to plant a little more and relax with some arting, getting back to my Book of Days and other artful projects I've got going. So … I'll see you then!

Peace.

12 comments:

Carol said...

Look yummy!!! I only have one rhubarb plant right now so I'll have to settle for a pie this year :0)

Theresa MacNaughton said...

That looks really great, Rose! We have some rhubarb growing but we're not quite sure as to when to pick it. Maybe you have some tips on that? Hope you aren't totally rained out tomorrow - have a great time!

Jenny said...

How delicious... I haven't rhubarb in so long... but after reading this... I think I will be picking some up at the market tomorrow... thank you for sharing...

Hugs
Jenny x

Kim said...

Yum! I just love rhubarb.

Adaptable Kay said...

I'm so excited you shared this recipe with us all! I would love to try to make this myself-Bookmarking ^.^

Hope you enjoyed your relaxing Sunday!

Healing Woman said...

Although I'm not a fan of rhubarb, I still like to pop in and visit you to see all the wonders you are creating. It would be fun to meet you at one of these fairs and I'd be thrilled if you showed up at my booth in Roanoke's market one day too. You may be surprised to meet a blogger fan one day at one of these events. Keep on creating those wondrous journals and garden delights!

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Faerie Moon … I've never really given that much thought … I start to pick it as soon as the leaf stems appear!

It's always a pleasure to see you, Healing Woman. :) Even if you're not a fan of rhubarb!

Thanks everyone!

Tammie Lee said...

oh yum and you even shared the recipe.
wishing you a grand time with your talk, if i was near i would come to listen and hug you.

~~Sew Happy Designs~~ said...

I love rhubarb! So far just muffins with some given to me by a friend, but maybe I can get something out of my small patch before it goes to seed.

Sharkbytes said...

Looks yummy- the truth is we don't eat much jam or preserves though. I'm thinking of trying juice. I haven't even made a pie this year.

sheds sale said...

very interesting share! Thank you so much for this page.

Anonymous said...

Wow that looks good!