Google+ What I Made Today: Pickled Rhubarb

Monday, May 27, 2013

Pickled Rhubarb


Well, it's rhubarb season here on my little acre, so today I started a batch of tried-n-true rhubarb preserves (which my neighbor has dubbed "rhubalade"). It will sit overnight to be processed tomorrow. It already smells good. And tastes good. More on that tomorrow.

I'm always seeking new things to do with rhubarb, since I have so much of it, and today I discovered a recipe for picked rhubarb on spoon fork bacon. So I took that recipe and adapted it to try out a small batch. I'll taste a jar in a couple-few weeks to see how I like it and if it is worthy of keeping with-r-without further adaptations. Here's my adapted recipe:


Rhubarb Pickles
10 cups rhubarb, cut into 1” pieces

1/2 cup yellow mustard seeds
1/3 cup black peppercorns
1/4 cup coriander seeds
2 teaspoon cumin, ground
4 teaspoon chili flakes

1 star anise - to each jar

5 cups apple cider vinegar
1 cup water
1/2 cup kosher salt
2/3cup granulated cane sugar

Sterilize 7 pint jars and lids. 
Clean and cut rhubarb, set aside.
Measure vinegar and water into a pot.
Measure mustard seeds, peppercorns, coriander seeds, cumin, crushed red pepper flakes and add to the vinegar/water pot. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally, and then simmer until the sugar and salt are fully dissolved.

Spoon the rhubarb into your sterilized jars, fill with the hot liquid and spices, add one star anise to each pint. Remove air bubbles and cap. Process in a hot water bath for about 20 minutes.


Yeah. That's what I made today.


Peace.


ADDENDUM: I wasn't happy with the outcome of this and won't be making it again. And I have a pretty adventurous palate. Be warned.

2 comments:

Tammie Lee said...

yum yum yum!

My Garden Diaries said...

Hey sweet lady!!! Loving your new layout...It is beautiful!!!!!!!! And oh my goodness does this recipe look amazing! You are a talent and I am happy that we are connected! Cheers to you!