Google+ What I Made Today: Lacto-Fermented Kimchi

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Lacto-Fermented Kimchi


Today I harvested a lovely head of Napa cabbage, a couple carrots, a nice big daikon radish, some green onions. I gathered my garlic and hot pepper flakes, the organic ginger I bought at the local health food store yesterday and my supply of whey from my homemade yogurt and made ...



Lacto-fermented Kimchi

1 head Napa or other cabbage, chopped
1 bunch green onions, chopped 
1-2 carrots, grated
1 daikon radish, grated (or any radish)
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
2 T. fresh ginger, grated
2 T. hot pepper flakes (or more!)
1 T. sea salt
4 T. whey

Combine all ingredients in a bowl, massage to release natural juices. Transfer to a jar, pack down, cover with a loose lid. Allow to sit in a warm place, out of direct light for 2-4 days. Store in the refrigerator. Enjoy!

It's so good and good for you.

That's what I made today. 

Peace.

13 comments:

Judy said...

Is that only 4 tablespoons of whey?

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

It is, Judy ~ that's all it takes!

Unknown said...

All right Rose. I will take your word that this tastes good :)

Gayle said...

I have been reading that lacto-
fermented foods are good for you...

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

It's delicious, Leta! :)

And yes, Vintage Green, all living fermented foods are very healthful. I'll be starting sauerkraut soon!

Margelaene said...

Oh, thanks for the recipe! I'll try it just tomorrow. But if you please, tell me, what do you mean by "T" ? English is not my native language, sorry...

Niechelle Wade said...

Beautiful! My friend has introduced me to this, and I've made it a few times this summer. Must try adding the carrots next time! (And the "Lacto" part!)

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Margelaene - T. means tablespoon. :) I have my own shorthand for recipes and forget not everyone uses the same. Have fun!


Niechelle - The carrots add great color and a subtle sweetness to balance all those other bold flavors. As for the lacto-fermenting, It offers instant gratification and a range of nutritional and wellness constituents that brining doesn't ~ but I do THAT too! :D

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

It's very pretty, but I'm not trying kimchi!

V said...

Thanks for the recipe! Sounds tasty!

booahboo said...

Kimchi.. yum yummmm.. i can eats loads of rice with just kimchi kimchi :) and yours looks deeeeeeelicious!

JDConwell said...

It is colorful...Enjoy!

Kim said...

Yum!!!

After Steph's stint in Korea though he won't eat it. I get the entire batch to my self when I make it.