Google+ What I Made Today: Salsa Verde Variation

Friday, September 30, 2011

Salsa Verde Variation


I still have a lot of tomatillos to harvest, yet I choose to do things in bite sized, manageable doses. So today I made a batch of salsa verde ...


Tomatillo Salsa
11 cups tomatillos, husked, cored and chopped
2 cups red onion, diced
1 1/2 cup green cayenne peppers, sliced in rings
1/2 cup sweet pepper, diced
8 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup apple cider vinegar
8 tablespoons lime juice
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt

Clean and sterilize your canning jars and lids, keeping everything hot until ready for packing. Combine all ingredients in a non-reactive pan, bring to the boil and reduce heat to a simmer for 10 minutes. Load up the jars, leaving 1/2 inch head room, cap and process in boiling water for 30 minutes (for pint jars). More detail can be found at Tigers & Strawberries which is where I found the recipe to adapt to what I had on hand.

If I had waited one more day, or even until evening, I could have added some nice organic cumin, but it arrived with my herb order after I was done. No worries though, I'll be making more because it came out quite tasty and I love the color that the red onion leant to it!

Also, I choose to leave the cilantro out and add it at serving time. I have a "pesto" supply of cilantro in my freezer and I prefer the bright flavor that it adds, when I don't have it fresh from the garden, that is.

That's what I made today. 

Peace.

6 comments:

Gayle said...

I always love coming here and seeing "what you made today".
Thanks for the link to Tigers and Tomatoes.....looks like a place that will be fun to explore.

Gayle said...

OOps!!! make that strawberries!!!

Arlene said...

That salsa looks wonderful. I'm sure it is a hundred times better than what you can buy at the store. How nice that you can do that! Wish I lived nearby - I might just beg a jar from you!

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

nice-looking stuff- you always do good things.

Jo-Ann Dziubek-MacDonald said...

Thank you for the recipie! I have loads of tomatoes and was looking for a good salsa recipe. Rose to the rescue :-) Have a great weekend!

Margelaene said...

Thank you very much for the recipe and for the link!