Google+ What I Made Today: Salsa Verde Ferment

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Salsa Verde Ferment


Today I start playing catch-up on a few discretionary tasks, including posting here on this silly blog. So, since this is catch-up, we'll just take a little literary freedom and say that I made this today … 

I still have tomatillos to preserve. If you remember, I made a batch of canned salsa verde last month and while it's quite good, I wasn't anxious to make more of the same. I'm glad I listened to my hesitant intuition, because this past week I got my copy of Food As Medicine - The Theory and Practice of Food, by Todd Caldecott. All other praises to Todd and the book aside, one little serendipitous piece in the book is a recipe for a naturally fermented salsa verde. Of course I had to make a batch. I adore fermented foods and honor the method as, perhaps, the premier method of preserving food.

Don't ask me for the recipe … rather, purchase your own copy of Todd's wonderful book. I'm glad I did. I'm sure that over time I will make my own adaptations that I will share with you. But really, fermentation is so simple and safe that recipes are really unnecessary, once you have basic salt/brine ratios under your belt. 


I'm looking forward to watching this particular ferment over the coming few days. I'll taste it at every "check" and will know within four days or so if I want to make more of it. I suspect I will.

That's what I made "today." Peace.


("Literary" freedom in a Blog?)

7 comments:

JDConwell said...

It's beautiful...the hubs loves tomatillos, but this year I couldn't get starts. Maybe next year I'll just plant seeds.

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

I started mine from seed and despite the slow spring start and crazy weather this summer, they were prolific!

Theresa MacNaughton said...

This looks wonderful. We grew tomatillos once year and made some amazing salsa. I'm getting a hankering for it after seeing this! :)

Unknown said...

And it looks so pretty too!

Adaptable Kay said...

Beautiful! Not only does it look delicious, but that shade of green is just so gorgeous :)

I've never really attempted to ferment anything, but maybe I should try soon! It sounds quite beneficial :)

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Go for it Kayla! It's so simple, so safe, so delicious and so "good" for you!

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

Looks pretty. I think the only fermented food I've had is sauerkraut. (which I like)