Google+ What I Made Today: A Canning Adventure Back Home

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

A Canning Adventure Back Home


OK. So the new pressure canner arrived yesterday afternoon, and I was psyched. I've been canning since 1978 and have never used a pressure canner. In the canning vein of preserving, I've always canned high acid "vegetables," fruits and pickles. But today … after I pickled some eggs and beets, I chopped up what was left of the yellow squash that was gifted to us from our dear friends Jes and Bruce.


I canned 12 pints of squash and started a ferment of what was left (about 3 quarts) in the style of my fermented squash from last year, which rocked my world. It would seem that there's conflicting information out there about canning summer squash and it delights me that it was my first canning adventure with my new pressure canner. I'll now have my own experience from which to make my own decision. I can dig that. After all, it's a core modus operandi of mine.

Yeah. After so much time of focusing outward, or acting on situations external, I'm finally returning home to me. It feels Good. I can dig it.

Peace.

7 comments:

Dawn Hill said...

Most excellent that you are getting your grove back! So how did you like using the pressure canner itself?? I keep thinking about one for canning some stews to have on hand...

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

I dug it, Dawn. In a far out way!

Anonymous said...

awesome - I can't wait to start canning myself!!

Miss Val's Creations said...

How fantastic! My parents were talking about this last weekend, how their parents used to can everything. It is so much work. I love seeing people doing this again today. Food tastes so much better when it is given love. I am glad you are getting your groove back. :)

Doreen Breen said...

Used to can when we first got married - wow! 40 years ago! Life took over with babies, work, etc. You are inspiring me to rethink what I have been missing! thank you sweet Rose!

Kim said...

So glad you are getting back in your grove. Can't wait to hear what you think of your squash.

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Enjoy it, Debra Anne!

Miss Val, I, too, am glad to see the practice creeping back. I'm compelled to add that I don't consider the effort "work" … for me it is a large part of how I make my living, and it's so profoundly rooted to what I value that no matter the effort, the sweat, the time ~ I enjoy it ~ most often over many, many months! :)

Love you both, Doreen and Kim!