Google+ What I Made Today: A Garden of Blessings

Monday, July 29, 2013

A Garden of Blessings


Yesterday I canned the plums that I picked up Saturday at the Watertown Farmers' Market. I processed the excess syrup too, because it's so good and will be a delightful addition to a number of things, including cocktails.

Today I jarred up the fermented summer squash that I started the other day. Five days and they are fermented to what I can only call perfection. The two quarts would last for months in cold storage, but I'm certain we'll eat them up long before autumn arrives, let alone winter.

I continued planting in the gardens and got more beets, turnip, kohlrabi, cucumber and even peas into the earth, though I may have jumped the gun on the peas. But I'll be planting more later anyway, so no harm. I tossed more lettuce seeds, as I do every two weeks or so, for a steady supply of salad greens all season. Life is pretty sweet.

I even made time for some art today. Not a lot, but enough to placate me.

I made time for friend who brought me a pan of her amazing Italian-style sausage and peppers … enough for several meals! And, hey, who wouldn't make time for that?

It's been a day of sun and clouds and I hear there's rain on the way, but no sign of it yet. It's been a day of many blessings, and the signs for those are everywhere.

That's what I made today.

Peace.

PS   You can read more about how I ferment summer squash here.

7 comments:

Michele said...

Beautiful!

Fermented squash? I've never heard of it - or eaten it.

Details? :-)

Sassy Lassies Vintage Life said...

Yes, tell us more about fermented squash.

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Oh yes, fermented squash!
You can read more about how I do it here:
http://whatrosemadetoday.blogspot.com/2012/07/today-i-started-gallon-batch-of-summer.html

Ruth Sandra Sperling of RSS Designs In Fiber said...

Sounds wonderful - food made from scratch is my style, though I don't do real canning! I buy fresh - except for some herbs and cherry tomatoes I grow in containers -- but I always cook from scratch!

Miss Val's Creations said...

These look amazingly delicious. What a great idea to use the excess syrup for cocktails!

greekwitch said...

Thank you dear Rosemary. Many blessings..

Tammie Lee said...

yum yum yum
yes, i understand a little art as better than none.