Google+ What I Made Today: Black Currant Rhubarb Preserves

Friday, July 26, 2013

Black Currant Rhubarb Preserves


Yesterday I harvested the last of the viable rhubarb and tidied up that garden bed. I cleaned, chopped and measured it, and from there decided to make a variation of my Rhubarb Preserves using some black currants that needed using.

To ensure that the dried herbs, especially the citrus peel, softened nicely (which was an issue with a batch of black currant preserves I made earlier this year), I placed them in the giant pot that everything would eventually make it to, added just enough water to cover, brought it to the simmer and then let it steep, covered until cool.

The chopped rhubarb was tossed with the sugar, which draws out the moisture of the "fruit," and eventually added to the pot, topped with the black currants and covered to sit over night. It's amazing how juicy it gets!

This morning I lit the flame beneath the pot to bring it, gently, to a simmer and let it simmer while the jars were sterilizing.

The jars were packed and processed with love. It's quite beautiful and delicious.

And for those who want my ratios, here they are:

26 cups rhubarb, chopped
6 cups black currants
1 cup dried rosehips
¾ cup dried orange peel
8 cups cane sugar

That's what I made Today.

Peace.

11 comments:

ShadowDogDesigns said...

That looks oh, so tasty, Rose. Thank you for sharing the recipe. Now if only I can find some rhubarb around here. Might be hard . . . Happy weekend to you.

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

It really is tasty, Catherine … and the color is gorgeous. The black currants made *that* magic!

As for rhubarb in your neck of the woods … not likely. This was the final harvest for me and it marked the end of rhubarb season for us. All the same ~ best wishes!

Art and Sand said...

I am not a cook ( ask my family), but reading your post made me want to do something in the kitchen today.

It is a gray day so maybe I will bake some bread.

Thanks for the inspiration

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Baking bread sounds like a fantastic idea, Art and Sand ~ go for it!

Jason said...

I love currants and rhubarb both, but never thought of combining them. We'll have to try this!

Simona said...

I enjoy reading your blog and what a lovely combination - we have wild Briar roses growing here so I will be collecting them and making your Jam soon! and I love Rhubarb!....

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

I hope you do try it, Jason!

And Simona ... wild briar rose jam? Sounds heavenly!

Anonymous said...

wow, that is gorgeous!

I thought of you yesterday... the Ball Jar company is 100 yrs old this year & as celebration is offering blue mason jars, just like the antiques! I found them at Kmart in Torrington & bought 4 boxes ;-)

Alla said...

ahhh sounds delicious, one day I have to work up the nerve to try 'preserving'... another danger is I tend to eat what I make with tablespoons so there is not much left to preserve by the time I'm done...

My Garden Diaries said...

This sounds just divine!!! I can not even imagine how amazing it must taste!!! You inspire me to be a better gardener!!!

Kim said...

Yum!