Google+ What I Made Today: Puree, Kabees and Journals

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Puree, Kabees and Journals


This past week I've been mostly busy with garden harvests. I canned more tomato puree and will have more to do, since the plants are still producing nicely and loaded with fruit. This morning I went to the Watertown Farmers' Market in search for cucumbers. Alas, I found none suitable for half sours. My plants really struggled this year and didn't produce much. Such is life. Nonetheless, I came home with some lovely little zephyr squash and gorgeous beets.

When I got home I harvested some turnip and commenced making kabees, a new favored way to preserve and enjoy turnips. I made a two quart batch sans beets a couple weeks ago and have already polished off a half a quart. I know they'll continue to get even better with time, but to me, they were delicious in just one day! They're beautiful with the beets, though, don't you think?

I've also started listing some of the new mini journals I've been working on. You can find them at my ArtFire and my Zibbet shops. There's more of them to come too - keep an eye out!

So, yeah … that's what I've been up to lately. You?

Peace.

11 comments:

Amber Pixie Shehan said...

Lovely work all around! I've been doing a ton of canning, herb-drying, veggie dehydrating, all manners of preserving. Making meads, wines, and too busy to blog! :)

Enjoy your work! <3
Amber

Anonymous said...

Sounds like ayou have had a wonderful week. I am so jealous.

Alicia Louise McKitis Tremper said...

Would you like to share your parsnip recipe?
Your productivity is inspiring <3
I heard that Collinsville has a farmers market on Sundays...you might check for cukes there tomorrow. I'll check my nearby farmstand too--what qualities are you looking for...? Not to fat?

xoxo alicia

Brizel Handcrafts said...

Hugely busy on the land... figs, apples and plums about to burst every harvest basket i have. not quite but i can feel it coming. I'm slicing and dehydrating and i'm very excited about it.

Your beets sound heavenly !
xo
Nicole

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

I hear ya, Amber! Keep doin' what you're doin' ~ it's noble work. And FUN too!

I have, Nancy, and I bet you did too. :)

You mean turnip, Alicia? The recipe is linked in the body of the post. Just click on the highlighted "kabees." As for cucs, don't worry about seeking them for me, I have another lead to follow this coming week. I usually make (at least) a couple gallons of half-sours. I may have to substitute this year. It happens. :)

Sounds wonderful, Nicole! We are planning to add some fruit trees to our little acre ~ and soon!

SimJaTa said...

just love anything on the subject of home prep food, yum.

Lynda (from BOD)

Sharkbytes said...

I think those journals are even prettier than usual. Hey, can you still get actual jar rubbers for those bail top jars?

The Journal Junkie said...

I have always wanted to learn how to can. I "helped" my grandma when I was a little girl. I am going to make pickles and jam one of these days!!!

;-> Felicia
The Journal Junkie
Blog: http://feliciathejournaljunkie.blogspot.com/
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/feliciaborges
Sketchbook Projects: http://www.arthousecoop.com/users/feliciaborges

Healing Woman said...

Your canning and journals are so eye catching. You are so very creative!

Unknown said...

what beautiful color ... must make Kabees. Do you know if there is anyway to preserve them longer than the recommended 2 weeks in the fridge? That's a lot for me to eat up in two weeks all by myself.

Kay ... via "swoon"

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Kay, this seems to be a fermented preserve, or "semi-fermented" since it's got vinegar … my original batch, is definitely fermenting, and is still good (and getting better) so it will last longer - much longer.

Nontheless, there's no reason you couldn't water-bath it to heat process it, just as you would for conventional "canned" pickles.