Google+ What I Made Today: Green Tomato Pie Filling

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Green Tomato Pie Filling


Today I made a fresh batch of kombucha, as I do most every week. I canned six quarts of green tomato "pie filling," along with a bonus enjoy-it-now pint. It tastes as good as it looks. Better, really! I made a variation on this recipe, and I'm delighted with the results. I see this as something much more than just pie filling! 

As I peeled and cored the apples, I nestled the "waste" into a hallf-gallon jar to which I added sugar water, 1/2-cup of sugar to each quart of water, topped it with muslin, and cozied it up in a quiet kitchen corner to begin its fermentation process. In several weeks I should have some nice homemade apple cider vinegar to bottle up and age. The Boy sorted and prepped beans for cooking, for blanching and for the dog. I thought about starting a fermented tomatillo salsa verde, but opted to make a soup for dinner, using up brines from enjoyed ferments. 

I still have tomatoes, tomatillos, peppers, beans, cabbage, turnip, beets and more garden abundance to contend with … all activities that distract me from consistent blogging, and I can Live with that.

That's what I made today. Peace. 

8 comments:

freeone45 said...

How yummy sounding; your green tomato pie filling.....I've never heard of it! Is it a recipe that you share??? Do tell, please. I'm still working in my garden, too, tho some things have already suffered frost bite.

Sharkbytes said...

Well that is interesting. Are these main course pies? My mom made green tomato mincemeat which we used in filled cookies and pies.

ShadowDogDesigns said...

How wonderful the pie filling looks! And I love your "and I can Live with that" comment (: Peace and joy . . . Catherine

An'Angelia Thompson said...

I love seeing your canned goods photos. My mom was an avid canner and seeing your creations takes me back to "the good old days"! I have a tiny garden area now, and we tend not to have enough for canning. I always say I'll get to the farmers' market for produce to can, but somehow I never do!

Kim said...

The pie filling sounds yummy. And I didn't know that is all you needed to make vinegar. Guess what I'm making next time I make a pie? Thanks for all the inspiration.

Tammie Lee said...

oh! yum yum!

Rick Forrestal said...

Wow.
Looks soooo good.
:-)

Mark said...

Nice jam. I like it. Tomato jam is so more tasty to me.