Google+ What I Made Today: The Seasonal Medicine of Spirit Cords

Sunday, November 23, 2014

The Seasonal Medicine of Spirit Cords


As November nudges us ever closer to the apex of winter (in "my" hemisphere, anyway), I find myself craving solitude. At the same time, the season that we collectively share slings me into my community. You know what I'm talkin' about.

For me it is a time of beautiful contradiction that begs me to center my intentions on the harmonics of balance, as I tend to my own needs and cravings while tending to the collective demands. It's a time that reminds me, like clockwork, of the potential hardships innate to our universal connectedness. And the extraordinary gifts born of those hardships.

It's no wonder I'm drawn to spinning my pendant Spirit Cords in this season. Working with fibers is a given, and as we move into the expanding chill of the season the activity sits comfortably in the duality of my cranial hemispheres. But the attraction to the pendants, each carrying energy, representing personal and collective meaning, is a tug that serves both the communal challenges and my desire for solitude.

Generally, I spin my Spirit Cords when I'm home alone, just me and the dog. The practice is always meditative for me. I always chant mantras, channel reiki and spontaneous blessings as I spin, yet working with the pendants seems to add to the wandering element of focus (know what I mean?) that this creative act offers to me. And this ... this consequential interplay acts to intensify the solitude for which I hunger, offering me exactly the Medicine I need in this season.

I like to think that the Medicine I experience in this creative process is carried with each cord that I spin and then, in turn, is translated to the needed Medicine of the ultimate holder.

To me, this meditation, these thoughts born of a creative ritual, offer an extra dimension of consideration and wisdom as I reflect on the challenge and the gifts, the self and the collective. This is the seasonal Medicine of my beloved Spirit Cords.

Peace.

13 comments:

PiaRom said...

Wow your cords as much as your ornaments are amazing! http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/home/walkinthewoodsllc/0/0/39586

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful post! Hugs, Valerie

Tammie Lee said...

yes, i feel your energy in your spirit cords. i have a couple of them and thick that they are wonderful!

lee said...

Thanks for sharing

Jeanne Fry Art said...

You have such a beautiful spirit. Thank you for sharing of yourself.

Maria said...

I love my spirit cords!

Sharkbytes said...

Nice collection there.

Lisabella Russo said...

They're beautiful! I certainly understand the pull towards solitude...

Dawn Hill said...

And I bet that HJ, smart girl that she is, stays by your side and soaks it all in too. :)

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

She does, Dawn. :) And she shares some of her own too.

Our dogs, They are beautiful Medicine.

Pam Tucker said...

Wow! These are awesome! The one with the black bird really resonates with me. I have a thing for black birds... ;) LOVE your work!

Anonymous said...

hello Rose..I like the way you write and your use of words. I like to have time alone to just be..
You have some lovely work on your blog and I like your use of herbs and your little bags

Susan Demeter said...

They are all beautiful, and I am drawn to the stag. Lovely post :)