Google+ What I Made Today: Good Medicine - All of It

Thursday, September 10, 2015

Good Medicine - All of It

September has somehow evolved into the double-digit phase. How did that happen? Where did the time fly? And from what magic are those wings made?
Yet, I've managed to get many harvests put by, as they say, for the many meals that lie ahead. I've been drying and canning and freezing and fermenting. Not to mention infusing oils and tincturing with delightfully fresh herbal harvests. It's Good Medicine. All of it.
I've tried something new this year, thanks to a online friend and preserving enthusiast. I make quarts (and more quarts, and pints too) of tomato purée and have historically added the "waste" (skins and seeds) to the compost. This year, I've been dehydrating it and blending it into a powder to be added to soups, stews, sauces and who-knows-what-else? It's a new experience for me and I can dig it.
I've canned collard greens and beets too... and have more still to harvest and process. And then some.
I still have dried broccoli from last year, so I've been harvesting and freezing packages for winter enjoyment. Carrots, squash, parsley and leeks are also in the mix of preserves, in their many forms.
And I've been heART journaling on a more regular basis, not daily, but every other day 'r' so. Keeping it simple has been key to this renewed practice. Isn't that always the way? Now... if only keeping things simple were... simple.

That's a taste of what I've been up since the calendar flip. As for today, I have studio time, dispensary time, weather-dependent garden time, kitchen time and then more studio time planned. Wish me well!

Peace.


21 comments:

Alison said...

What a delicious array of produce Rose, and a great use for the tomato waste.
Glad you found time for some art too, your September page looks wonderful.
Alison x

~*~Patty S said...

How wonderful to have nature's bounty available to you in so many forms and all through the year too!
Lovely colorful peek at your journal.
oxo

My name is Erika. said...

Awesome pickling. I love to preserve from my garden, but this year, my garden just didn't get quite enough TLC to really produce. Love the art journal page too. Your bold printing is so cool.

Carol said...

Your produce looks amazing ♡♡♡♡ Tomatoes are about I had do well this year. :( SO glad you tried the powdered shins. I love them. Between all of the rain and cool weather; then add the abundance of produce eating critters ...I didn't get much. I am getting some late summer squash and my dad gave me a box of butternut squash. So I have something to cook with my tomatoes.

Carol said...

Your produce looks amazing ♡♡♡♡ Tomatoes are about I had do well this year. :( SO glad you tried the powdered shins. I love them. Between all of the rain and cool weather; then add the abundance of produce eating critters ...I didn't get much. I am getting some late summer squash and my dad gave me a box of butternut squash. So I have something to cook with my tomatoes.

Carol said...

Your produce looks amazing ♡♡♡♡ Tomatoes are about I had do well this year. :( SO glad you tried the powdered shins. I love them. Between all of the rain and cool weather; then add the abundance of produce eating critters ...I didn't get much. I am getting some late summer squash and my dad gave me a box of butternut squash. So I have something to cook with my tomatoes.

Unknown said...

The time seems to be speeding by. Some good eating at your house - my mouth waters at the thought of it.

Kim said...

Rose, whenever you are absent from the blog world for a few days I get all excited cause I know upon your return you will wow and inspire us. And of course you did just that. I love the journaling especially I just cannot get in the groove of doing it often enough. I think the same way you do, we will eat for the winter what has been provided during the summer.

Valerie-Jael said...

Love the look of those wonderful veggies, it's a lot of work to preserve them, but well worth it - enjoy them! Your art is beautiful, too. Thanks for visiting my blog again! Hugs, Valerie

Faye said...

Beautiful journal page with such bright colors. Also, loved seeing the produce. Your photography is lovely art too.

Tammie Lee said...

look at your wonderful harvest
and full days of preparations!
sweet that you can get your art fix too
Sweet weekend to you

Christine said...

Wonderful good stuff!

Sunshineshelle said...

Can I just say I am totally inspired by what you have created in so many various forms, wish you luck in keeping your abundant goodies coming, really love this post, and that dried broccoli has me intrigued :)

kat said...

It's oozing with health and vitality here with all these delicious harvests, such abundance, a real blessing!

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

Those tomatoes are precious, very clever use of the skins. You must be so proud to have a garden like that. A lovely bright journal page too. Enjoy your Sunday!

Love and hugs
Maarit

denthe said...

You certainly have been busy! No wonder the time is running away from you :-) Love that journalpage too!

Indira said...

Loved reading about your canning and pickling work. Thanks for letting a peek into your art journal.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

sheila 77 said...

Hello Rose, this sounds like the ideal life - preserving from your garden for the months to come. I'm intrigued by the fact that you dry your produce, I've no idea how you do that, and I've never heard of collard greens, but just looked it up and they seem to be heartless cabbages?
Love your coloured drawings of jars and plants.

mandysea said...

It's amazing what can be done with tomatoes... AND, wow on your new experimentation - it looks fabulous! Love your new broccoli, it will be yummy too. Great journaling... it seems to get done when we find a 'need' to do it... great for down-time.

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Yean, sheila, I'll dry almost anything. It adds variety and diversity to my winter pantry and meals. Years back a saw a documentary about some folk living in northern Russia with a long tradition of drying virtually all of their summer foods to see them through their winters, and it opened my mind to doing the same.

And yes, collards are one of the many members of the cabbage family, with large "meaty" leaves. I love them!

Faye said...

Beautiful colors in the painted artwork, but also in all the wonderful harvest. You must be a very busy person in the summer with all that great produce.