Google+ What I Made Today: Ready for the Stretch of Urgency

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Ready for the Stretch of Urgency


Autumn has arrived in my little corner of the world and I welcome it with open arms. It marks the time of adding an extra blanket on the bed, of sleeves and socks and shoes, and it marks the final seasonal stretch of extreme urgency. 
I've been harvesting greens for drying, canning, fermenting. And cooking for meals, almost daily.
Tomatoes are still coming and I'm still drying and canning those too. I must ferment some, too, for a delicious tomato juice that makes a very special Bloody Mary. ::nods::

I still have beans and peppers, beets and squash, sweet potatoes and eggplant, lemon grass and parsley, calendula and nasturtium, kohlrabi and leeks, carrots and surely others I'm forgetting that will need my attention as the weather waxes frosty. As one who grows most of her own food, I put a lot of pressure on myself as October approaches. When it feels like "too much" I recall my sighs of delight and pleasure when "shopping" in my own pantry in the dark of winter. 
I've been fermenting all manner of harvests too, among them the better known cabbage ferments: Sauerkraut, kimchi, cortido, as well as variations on those themes. I have apple cider vinegar started too, from all the skins and cores from the apples I dried and canned as sauce.
I've been planning and plotting simple mini-workshops, like making your own vanilla and other culinary herbal extracts.
And I've been doing my best to make time to smell the flowers, as they say. Some days it's a real challenge, but I force myself. :)

I'm looking forward to October, when this season of harvest-urgency begins to calm. I look forward to it, too, because it is my month for diving deep, a month for reflection and projection, a month of endings and beginnings, a month of eternal moments with no past or future, a month of mysteries... a month Just for Me.

So today, I make ready for this final seasonal stretch.

Peace.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Lovely! One of these days I will taste that bloody mary. I'll even bring the horseradish ice cubes.

Christine said...

Someone's favourite season is here, love reading about all your preparations, wonderful tribute to fall here.

Indira said...

I can imagine how wonderful all these preparations will be in the cold of winter months. Savor the fruits of your labor, made with your own hand.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Sunshineshelle said...

I too enjoy the cooler weather but in this part of the world we are moving towards summer. Your bounty of food and loving preservation for future meals is something I am fascinated by, and your photos are delicious :)

Carol said...

Reading of all your harvest and seeing the pictures in so inspiring. My garden was smaller this year and did not produce as well as normal due to extreme weather issues. What did do well was the tomatoes and they are still hanging in there. I have a few late peppers that finally decided to grow..even if they are small but we're loving them. As I rest up these next few months I'll be planning next years garden :)

My name is Erika. said...

How lucky you are to have all those homegrown and fresh veggies still coming in. You've been busy. I love doing that, but this year my garden kind of fizzled as it was pretty dry here. So I love seeing what others are doing with their harvest.

Ruth said...

Autumn - my favorite season of the year. What a wonderful bounty you have to enjoy throughout the seasons! Cooler temps have rekindled my thoughts of "Bliss Balls" and "Elderberry Elixir." I am truly grateful for all the natural beauty that surrounds me. Peace and blessings to you Rose.

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

I so love your photos and know the hard work behind. My maternal grandmother grew all her veggies and my paternal grandmother picked wild herbs for healing infusions. And the delight in the midst of cold winter to taste the preserved summer...ah, I need to grow tomatoes next year, that special Bloody Mary sounds lovely :)

Love and hugs
Maarit

mandysea said...

oooh, just makes me want to be there sitting amongst it all!
Yes, I can imagine in the dark of winter how wonderful your pantry will look and the delights on the table for the eating!

Tammie Lee said...

wahoo, you are on a roll!
amazing how much wisdom and knowledge lives in your blood, breath and veins! I feel proud of you!

i planted my first big-ish tree today, that is what i did. it was a lot of hard labor ;-)