Google+ What I Made Today: October's Tenacious Rite and Ritual

Friday, October 2, 2015

October's Tenacious Rite and Ritual

Welcome October.

For me it is a month of frantic stillness. It is a month for vibrant tenacity, as the last of the lingering Hypericum perforatum blooms remind me. It's the month that ushers in the gifts of melancholy too. My planned activities are slim in October, though my objectives are many. There's still Food and Medicine harvests to collect and put by, there's craft and art projects to complete and make ready for sale, and there's the quiet "just for me" time to carve into each and every day.

This may be redundant, but October is, for me, a ritual month for rooting, reflecting and projecting. Holistically. I dive deep into my personal, interpersonal, social, business, global and universal choices and challenges, all the while doing my best to stay rooted in The Moment, in my realm of Gaia/Creation/Spirit. And I do my best to make time and space for daily meditation, journeying, and a daily "just for me" activity.

Every. Single. Day.

In this annual ceremony I glean lessons, or reinforce the mysteries that tug for more attention ~ nuggets of wisdom, one and all ~ and in doing so I am able to plan my coming year with at least some degree of conscious awareness. Holistically.

October is a month of tenacity for me, and one that, when I am true to the verve, consistently yields positive potential and outcomes, in mind, will, heart, body and spirit.

Peace.

10 comments:

Faye said...

Thanks for your visit and lovely comments, Rose. October is a big month in my life: father's bd, inlaws' anniversary, inlaw grandmother's bd, my bd, my granddaughter's bd, my daughter's bd, and the anniversary month of my dh's death. I have always loved October and the beautiful colors in the leaves here.

Kim said...

Thanks Rose for your reminders to all of us.

Tammie Lee said...

a lovely way to cross the threshold into October.

Valerie-Jael said...

October is the month with lots of change, with saying goodbye to summer and welcome to Autumn. Have a GREAT month, hugs, Valerie

Christine said...

I like early October, although it has already gone quite cold today!

Julie said...

Such beautiful words of wisdom that really resonate with me. You have a wonderful blog filled with lovely photos, as an herbalist also I really appreciate it.

Unknown said...

It's a good reminder for all of us that we need to take time for ourselves. It is crucial to all that I do to nourish myself first so I can then feed others so to speak. This is a huge time for me as I start to reflect and choose the seeds I want to plant in my life that will be actively dormant during the winter months.

Indira said...

Lovely musings. October does bring out introspection, looking inwards. It is a way of preparing for the long nights and the cold winter to come. Human way of hibernating, I think.

Thanks for visiting my blog and for the lovely comments.

Fallingladies said...

I have enjoyed reading some of your latest posts, i wish i knew so much about gathering and storing all your herbs and garden harvests. My husband and i have been canning more in teh last few years but everything for me is such a learning experience, i don't have any background knowledge so when everything come at once like it does i end up loosing so much. Wish i was closer so i could take a workshop with you. I did dry alot of herbs and froze some but much of the broccoli and other garden veggies went to feed the bunny when it got away from me.

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Thank you all for your kind comments. I appreciate each and every one!

And Andrea, I have plenty that goes to the chickens, for dog food and the compost too. :) And that your bunnies get to enjoy your growings, that's a Good thing. I've been doing this for over 35 years... each year the garden gets bigger, as does the pantry and even after all these years I learn something new with a grateful frequency! So, be patient. Be persistent. Be tenacious! :D