Google+ What I Made Today: Spirals, Spirals, Spirals.

Friday, March 4, 2016

Spirals, Spirals, Spirals.

Winter feels like it never quite arrived here on my little acre, yet here we are, mere weeks to the vernal rebirth. So saved seeds are inventoried, several are started, some planted, and still more ordered to honor the spiraling return of annual activities of nurturance, sustenance, legacy and honor.

I finished this, one of several recent Creative journeys. A return to portals and a sweet reminder of the spiral and value of journey over destination, on so many levels.

 I made this recipe:

Banana Cacao Finger Cakes
4.5 cups unbleached flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
.5 teaspoon salt
1.75 cups sugar
1 cup butter
4 bananas, mashed
4 eggs
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 cup cacao nibs

Measure and blend the first three dry ingredients. Set aside.
Cream the sugar and butter, blend in the mashed bananas, blend in the eggs and vanilla.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet in two waves, mixing well at each, mixing in the cacao nibs before the second wave. Know what I mean?
Spoon onto a cookie sheet (I lay down unbleached parchment), bake at 400F for about 11 minutes. Cool on a rack and enJOY! That's how I did it, anyway. And they came out quite good.
And baking - anything Food - invokes more spiraling.

And my winter finger spun fiber project has yielded 6 balls of upcycled cotton "yarn." I'm not sure of the linear measure that was produced, but I do know that, once the fabric was ripped and tidied, it took an hour to create 3 linear yards of "yarn." This Creative journey also yielded a nice, rough callus on my right thumb and forefinger, the fingers that work the spiraling fibers.

So that's what I've been up to: Spiraling. Spiraling. Spiraling. Back to the vernal verve of spring.

Peace.

9 comments:

Doreen Breen said...

So lovely to hear all your activities and accomplishments - spiraling seems to be "alive and well" for me also. Thank you always for your inspiration sharing. Peace and love

Kelly said...

Your yarn is spectacular, your story too ;) ... I love hearing how much beauty you weave, or spiral!~ into your days. Love feeling that winding spring and all of it's creative tension ready to go. Love this time of year!

Anonymous said...

The value of journey over destination.... Thank you for this reminder. Your Creative journey is beautiful!

GlorV1 said...

Nice yarn and great piece. Yes it's seed planting time and I'm looking forward to it. Nice post. Enjoy.

Unknown said...

Lovely update - spiraling in and out seems a theme of late - a lovely dance it is

Sarah said...

Love everything about this post. Especially seeing the transitions of your painting.

Sarah said...

Love everything about this post. Especially seeing the transitions of your painting.

Tammie Lee said...

seed time, wow. our growing season is quite short here!i am guessing green houses are important for a long enough season. I would need to prepare so much unless i would be growing food for the deer.

your baked goods sound yummy.
and yea to your home made upcycled yarn!
lovely weekend to you!

My name is Erika. said...

Love your projects. making yarn from ripped fabric sounds fantastic. I should try that, though it does seem a bit time consuming, it might be a good project while watching tv. Hope its been a good weekend so far.