Google+ What I Made Today: A Few Spring Harvests

Monday, April 26, 2010

A Few Spring Harvests

During a brief dry spell today I scurried outdoors to harvest a short quart of dandelion blooms to start an infused vinegar of dandelion flowers. In these modern times we live in we have a tendency to not think of preserving foods so early in the growing season (if at all). But I do. I took my jar outdoors with me and simply harvested the blossoms to fill it. I returned to my little kitchen to fill the jar with apple cider vinegar and cap it with a plastic list. In only a few short hours the color is already vibrant and I delight in knowing that this little jar will be one of many to bless me with sunshine and nutrition throughout the seasons ahead - especially winter, for it will return. I'll let this sit and macerate for several weeks before straining it and decanting it into a bottle to label, put on a high shelf, and use in salads and cooking in the months to come.
I made a salad with the bits of romaine left from the grocery and added chopped ramps (wild leeks), violet flowers, a bit of chopped pickled peppers from last season and a touch of olive oil and splash one of my infused vinegars. It was a super yummy feast for the belly and the eyes.

I love spring. Don't you?

Peace.

12 comments:

~~Sew Happy Designs~~ said...

So that's it? Two ingredients? MMM....I got me some dandelions here...I wonder?

Joanne Olivieri said...

Absolutely yummy and colorful too :)

Bonnie Story said...

That is wonderful. I'm impressed with dandelions lately and have begun enjoying the greens in salad. Moderation is key since they are so potent. Great idea and pretty salad! Cheers, Bonnie

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Yep - it's *that's* simple!

I love dandelions. I use the petals too ... in muffin and pancake batters to make "confetti" foods. It's so pretty and the bitters don't come through (unless you use boat-load).

Pombagira said...

hmm.. makes me wonder if you could then go ahead and use your dandelion apple vinegar to make 4 thieves vinegar? *ponders this*..

might have to experiment in the spring *nods*..

Polly

Jennifer MacNeill said...

That looks delicious!

Divaeva said...

mmm..that salad is making my tummy grumble!

Robin said...

Beautiful salad....why, it's almost art!

Plantress said...

I like to use flowers in salads as well. especially nasturtium leaves and flowers

Julia said...

That is one deliciously beautiful salad! I think I might feel a wee bit guilty eating it, but could somehow muster up the courage. ;)

Unknown said...

I love dandelions. Sometimes they are quite unappreciated. Every time I see one of those weed commercials with someone killing a dandelion I just want to yell, DON'T, they're so healthy and delicious! Your salad looks amazing!

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

I'm planning on having nettles tonight! Did you see what I did with dandelions at myqualityday.blogspot.com (see April 23)