Google+ What I Made Today: Ugly Soap

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Ugly Soap


Two days ago I made a batch of soap. It rested, covered and undisturbed overnight, then uncovered for another day and a half. Today, I un-molded it and cut it into fourteen ugly bars.

That's what I call my soap: Ugly soap. It may not be pretty, but it sure is nice. This batch is made with lard I rendered myself, coconut, olive and castor oils, glycerin, vanilla oleoresin and essential oil of lavendula angustifolia. I can't thank my friend, a Wicked Step Mom, enough for demystifying the process and helping me find that place of confidence to do it myself. Before I started making my own I used to buy handcrafted soaps, though it was sometimes challenging to find them without synthetics added, but even then they are far superior to the commercial detergent soaps.

I have six bars left from last year and they will last plenty long enough to allow this batch, and the others that will follow, ample time to cure well.

That's what I made today. Peace.

12 comments:

Kim said...

thanks for the love and plug

nothing better than ugly soap

Amy said...

I don't think it's that ugly!! I LOVE the look of HP and CP soap! Great job!

Terra said...

That's what we call our soap, too: Ugly soap, so you don't have to be! LOL. About time to make more.

Pombagira said...

hmm.. i have been seriously considering making soap this year, *ponders this*... soon *nods*..

just have a couple more things to get, like a bread mould/tin, and scales.. then i should be set.. maybe a mad scientists lab coat.. just cause.. *grins*

JDConwell said...

Not sure if there's something wrong with me, but homemade soap always looks like something good to eat.

One of my Mema's favorite phrases was "Ugly as Home-made soap!" :~)
jan

Victoria said...

Wow! Soapmaking *does* seem like such a mystifying process - I am happy to buy mine from other artisans for now! Sounds like a great blend though. :)

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

I'm not sure that I care enough about soap to make any. I really want to make fancy paper though... maybe this summer.

LetaMarieDesigns said...

Don't care if its ugly as long as it does the job :)

brandi said...

~something i have always wanted to try and now seeing your ugly soap and reading your heavenly ingrediants you have me wanting to attempt my own...much love light and blessings be with you and yours~

Brizel Handcrafts said...

I just HAD to see how UGLY was ugly. ya know ?! lol good for you for making your own !

Theresa MacNaughton said...

There is nothing better than handcrafted soap! It's so much better for your skin. I think your soap looks pretty! Theresa

Reeni said...

This is something I've always wanted to do! Hooray for ugly soap! Ugly is the new pretty.