Google+ What I Made Today: Pickled Eggs

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Pickled Eggs


Over the past day or two, the spirit of my good friend and father-in-law has been whispering in my ear. Such whispers lead me to making things like this. He used to make pickled eggs quite often and I loved them. He made lots of delicious things to eat! So, in a few weeks - if I can wait that long - we'll have some yummy pickled eggs.

They're so simple to make. I just hard-boil enough eggs to fit in a quart jar, and simmer a pint wine vinegar with dried oregano, astragalus root, garlic, onion and about a teaspoon of salt. I peel the eggs, place them in the jar and pour the hot vinegar - with the herbs - over them, and cap the jar. You can vary the herbs and spices to your inclination. I don't think I've ever made them the same twice. 

So now they go into cool storage for a few weeks. When they're ready we'll honor the spirit of a very special man who possessed a modest joy for life and all its simple offerings. 

That's what I made today.

Peace.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Yummy! I make them, too, but we dig into them the next day. Maybe I'll hide a batch away to see what they're like after aging. ;)

Audrey said...

They certainly are beautiful and what a great tribute to a very special person....

Brizel Handcrafts said...

Whispering pickled eggs in your ears ? You are obviously a very attentive listener ! lol

LetaMarieDesigns said...

Oh Yum. I love pickled anything!

LetaMarieDesigns said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tammie Lee said...

I don't think i have ever eaten a pickled egg. They look like art!

JDConwell said...

I'm not real big on anything pickled (except green olives) but I agree with Tammy--they're really beautiful!

Adaptable Kay said...

What a wonderful tribute :)

Those little things we do can just mean SO much to us or other people.

Unknown said...

My da makes them as well but what he taught me was to use cocktail onions and beets which makes them a beautiful purple color. I may try your recipe this year though along with mine:)

Sharkbytes said...

I don't know what seasonings she used, but my mom used to make pickled eggs occasionally. Actually, the ones I liked best were just those added to pickled beet juice after the beets were eaten.

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

@capecodjewel ~ they are worth hiding away for a week or two, they just keep getting better!

@Wendy ~ I love making them with beets too - they are so, so very pretty, aren't they?

@Sharkbytes ~ that's an awesome idea … why have I never thought of it!?!

Thanks everyone. ♡

Jewels, Journals & Fine Art said...

Your photography is equally as beautiful as the sentiment of this post. ~ Gracie