Google+ What I Made Today: Ready with Rhubarb Preserves

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Ready with Rhubarb Preserves


Today I inventoried and cleaned my pantry and was pleased with all the food, still on hand, that I've put away over the past year or two. I reorganized and consolidated the shelves to make ready for the 2013 preserves and to support using what's oldest first. I also organized my empty canning jars by size, mouth-size, bail or screw lid.

So I made ready for the first of this season's preserves and placed the loving jars of rhubarb preserves, grape jelly and cranberry jelly that I made yesterday on their place in the pantry cabinet. All are delicious, by the way.

I modified last year's recipe for the rhubarb preserves by doubling the amount of rosehips and orange peel, and I'm very happy with the outcome. Here's what I did:



16 cups rhubarb, chopped
1 cup dried rose hips
1/2 cup dried orange peel
4 cups cane sugar

Combine in a pot, cover and let sit for 8-12 hours. Bring to boil. Simmer until soft. Pack into half-pint/pint jars. Seal. Process in a hot water bath for 15 minutes. Let cool. Check the seal. And enjoy!

Peace. 

No comments: