Google+ What I Made Today: A Revisit to Uncontaminatable Essence

Monday, December 30, 2013

A Revisit to Uncontaminatable Essence

Yesterday marked a blog anniversary for me. It was on December 29, 2004 that my opening entry was posted and all I can really say is tempus fugit. I read my entry from 9 years ago today and laughed. 

Rather than ruminate about it here, I thought I'd take a shortcut and simply post it … 


Uncontaminatable Essence

"I am an enthusiastic Visionary with an uncontaminatable essence."~ Gaynor Linnecor

A precious friend shared these glorious words with me today and once I got past the physical challenge of pronouncing "uncontaminatable" out loud - I laughed out loud!

I laughed for two reasons.

One reason was the shear humor at hearing my own voice spitting and stumbling over what seemed an utterly unpronounceable word. Once I surrendered to simply speaking the word as I understood it and not trying to pronounce it as written, it was simple. I laughed again. Why do we make things so difficult for ourselves?

The other reason I laughed is the serendipity of the quote. In my quest for simple approaches to healing and wellness I have started (expanded, really) to experiment with making my own fermented foods, by simply working with the itsy-bitsy airborne fungi and bacteria that share my home and kitchen with me (and you with yours!). It is sad that we live in a world where simply hearing the words "bacteria and fungi" evoke thoughts of "enemy!"and "Contaminant!" Where product after product bombards us with antibacterial this and antibacterial that. A world that is pasturized and homogenized to death. 


Fear not contamination.

In my play and education with fermented foods I have learned and remembered that those little "germs" that cause fermentation have given us mighty gifts throughout our history. Not the least being simple survival! And wine! Those "contaminants" work magick for us - by preserving nutrients, creating new ones and transforming others into more digestible foods! Those pesky "contaminants" actually work to transform and remove toxins from foods!

Ahhh, how can I fear contamination when it comes to me as such a miracle as this? These contaminants are my friends. They are my newfound midwives and nurses, showing me old ways to do new things . . . showing me how unnecessary, wasteful and potentially detrimental arbitrary killing of them is . . . showing me wisdom practiced and handed down from the ancients that is life-sustaining - in both metaphor and practical application! Showing me, that pasteurization is not in the interest of my personal health and wellness, but rather that of an larger profit-oriented energy and that homogenization defies the mystery of Nature - of life itself - by only offering a consistent product time after time. That’’s just dull, and dulling - not words I associate with wellness.

So, I say - Make friends with your enemies! Learn from your contaminants! It certainly makes things simpler (less difficult). In doing so, you open yourself to becoming an uncontaminatable essence!

It’s silly, isn’t it? The simple practice of fermentation has reminded me that, from a holistic perspective, our enemies are usually our allies. So, yes - "I am an enthusiastic Visionary with an uncontaminatable essence" and you can be too! 



As I reread this I thought to myself, some things change, and some things don't. And I laughed again. As for now … I think I'll go ferment something. 

That's what I made today. Peace.

8 comments:

Healing Woman said...

I love your first post! How true to your words you have stayed. Ten years ago and still producing very interest posts is quite an accomplishment! Congratulations! I hope to come back to see you often in 2014-glad you are still with it!

Hugs and Happy New Year-
Cheryl

Anna Garner said...

Rose, you and me both. Kefir saved my life, literally. I have a badly damaged pancreas, and it is raw milk kefir, rich in enzymes and probiotics that healed me to a point that I can eat a greater variety of foods without having pains. I endorse your post enthusiastically!
Anna

Debi said...

An absolute! visionary close to the essence of nature which sustains our ungrateful species....As I watch the 6oclock news ....and NOW they are repeated what wiser generations already new, taught, then where outlawed for...........I hear you and I pass on even if it is to the sound of my own voice! lolol
Joyous New Moon Year ahead! xoxoDebi

Unknown said...

As I read I was thinking about your radishes and how yummy they were and how you are still fermenting wellness. Love that!

Unknown said...

Ten years a great miles stone and a great blog, Good luck and great love and success in 2014

Adaptable Kay said...

It's amazing how far we have come from our first post, isn't it? I remember looking back when I hit my 5 year blogoversary and I had to giggle at my early posts, too :)

Congratulations on nearly 10 years of blogging!

Dawn Hill said...

This seems oddly familiar! ;)

Sharkbytes said...

Yes, we are too obsessed with being "clean." I loved the passage in the Herriott books where he talks about the knackers children being the healthiest in the area. They played all day surrounded by piles of offal and contaminated cow lungs and what not.