Google+ What I Made Today: Dried Eggplant

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Dried Eggplant

I had so much beautiful. organically grown eggplant from a local farm that, aside from making grilled salad, antipasto, eggplant cheddar (a parmesan variation using sharp Vermont cheddar, (because that's what I had), I also dried a bit. Drying garden and farm harvests is a nice way to preserve foods for simple storage, and simple to do too. I am blessed with a plug-in variety dehydrator, but solar works too and even a low, low oven.

Yesterday I chopped the eggplant, salted and sweated it for a couple-few hours to release the excess moisture, placed them on my drying trays which were then popped into the dehydrator, set to about 130 degrees F where I let the magic happen until they were good and dried. Today I made a winter home for these little eggplant bits, which will now reside in my pantry chest.

These will be nice to rehydrate to use in cooking throughout the winter months, don't you think?

That's what I made today. Peace.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fresh or dried, the eggplant looks beautiful. I like your idea about using cheddar instead of parmesean. But then being from VT I may be a little biased. I truly enjoy reading your blog...God bless..

LiPeony said...

wow I've never heard of drying veggies like that before... I wonder how they will taste... I do love eggplant... mm

Vincent James Pia said...

"Eggplant Cheddar", eh? I just might have to try that at some point! :-)

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

I like dried eggplant too- I throw it in soups