Google+ What I Made Today: Chicken Stock for the Winter Pantry

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Chicken Stock for the Winter Pantry


For many, putting food by is a hobby, a task in which homemade preserves are made for transient enjoyment and gift giving, which, by the way, is wonderful. For me, though, it is vital, for it is one way in which I contribute to the household (and to Gaia) and, in essence, how I make (at least one aspect of) my living. For me it is consciously holistic choice, one that has the potential for ripples. Ripples through me, my tribe, my community, my world, and mama Gaia. Oh, I could on and on on this topic … even pull out the soap box. But I still have tomatoes to sort, beans and peppers to harvest and decisions to on how to preserve this latest batch of bounty.

But today, I strained that chicken stock, skimmed the fat (which will make some mighty nice matzo balls to go with some nice penicillin soup) and got ten quarts canned and ready for the winter pantry.

That's what I made today.

Peace.

9 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Matzo balls and chicken soup - wish you were nearer! Valerie

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I think food canning is becoming a lost art, so I'm glad to know it's still being done. I love Matzo soup, but don't get to have it often. Blessings!

Sharkbytes said...

Never thought of canning it. I just freeze it. Must need a pressure canner. I don't have one of those.

Anna Garner said...

Yum, yum, chicken stock is a staple food against those windy winters that we have even here in California when the wind comes in from colder climates.
Anna

Bird said...

I used to can foods in the fall before I got sick some years back, But now that I'm doing so much better, I want to start up with it again. This post made me have that itch again. I have lost the knowledge of it, though. I have to relearn it all all over again. I sometimes think it would be fun to have canning clubs where a bunch of folks spent time going from home to home to help with the wonderful blessings of putting up food.
Bright blessings, Bird http://birdsearthyspirit.blogspot.com/

Debi said...

I love to visit so very much! I learn so much each time! Huge Hug! xoxoDebi in Canada

SLScheibe said...

You make so many good things! It all looks so delicious, even in a can. How inspiring you are :)

Julie l. Cleveland said...

Your chicken stock looks delish even just sitting in the jars. I can already smell the cooking carrots, celery and potatoes that I would add to it for a cold winter lunch. Looks yummy, Rose.

Tammie Lee said...

I was wondering how many chickens it takes to make this much broth, but then i saw your post below...
so good to have broth to just reach for. I have never canned it. I always freeze, am getting low... time to buy a chicken!