Google+ What I Made Today: Fire Cider

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Fire Cider


Among other things I made a gallon batch of Fire Cider. The Boy had dug up quite a bit of our horseradish yesterday afternoon so today I set myself to peeling and cutting. I prepped several heads of garlic, a large ginger root and chopped them all in the food processor. It all went into a gallon jar along with hot pepper flakes, a handful of fresh jalapenos, astragalus root slices, ground turmeric and then covered with apple cider vinegar.

There's no measuring for me, but I tend to be generous and I did have a lot of horseradish. It already smells and tastes divine, but it will sit for six to eight weeks before I strain and bottle it for winter use.

I love this stuff. It's so good and good for you. I perceive it primarily as food and use it almost daily in salads, on veggies, in cooking, as a marinade, for deglazing, and in whatever way I'm inspired in the moment. I sometimes fill a small cordial glass to sip, or a shot glass to slam back, especially when I feel a first tickle of some pathogen trying to make a home in body.

So, yeah, that's what I made today.

Peace.

14 comments:

Pamela Hollis said...

This looks amazing, but what if I have no horseradish at hand? I have never seen fresh horseradish in my grocery. Haveyou ever made it with different ingredients?

Jane said...

Hot stuff ! Sounds really good !

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Pamela, I tend to think of "traditional" Fire Cider as containing these four ingredients:
~ Horseradish
~ Garlic
~ Ginger
~ Hot pepper

I tend to use these as my base to anything I call "Fire Cider" Last year I added burdock root and who can remember what else. This year, turmeric.

So even if you can't find fresh horseradish (though I have seen it in the supermarkets), just play and make it with what you have!

Unknown said...

Yum! Thanks Rose, I'm gonna try this!

JFM said...

Rose, thank you for visiting my blog yesterday...I wanted to return the favor and I am so happy that I did! This is a delightful blog filled with wonderful creations...so I am now a follower and friend and I will enjoy visiting this wonderful blog often :)

Jan

Unknown said...

Looking at the recipe it certainly sounds firefly, I can imagine it gives a salad a real kick

Anna Garner said...

Looks yummy and healthy. And it is definitely the season for it.
Anna

Lisabella Russo said...

Wow! My boyfriend is drooling! He says that sounds incredibly delicious and super healthy...

Tammie Lee said...

wow, that sounds amazing.
i made something like this last Halloween, seemed like a halloweeny brew. It is so good on everything.

I have never made it as a tea, i think i will go give it a try.

Alicia Louise McKitis Tremper said...

Whoa-- more Rosie yumminess.
I'll be making this one soon for sure! Thank you.

Alicia
Is your green tomato pie filling recipe posted on the blog?

Shpangle said...

Wow, I can almost smell it from here! I have never heard of it before now, however it sounds really good. How long can it be stored for?

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Thanks you all for your beautiful, fiery comments! I hope you all make some for yourselves!

Tammie, I don't know that's I'd drink it as a tea … but you've inspired me to wonder!

Yes it is, Alicia … at:
http://whatrosemadetoday.blogspot.com/2012/09/green-tomato-pie-filling.html … I'll give you a live link on FB (I've forgotten how to post live links here!).

And Shpangle, it's very stable and would last for years, much like vinegar. Though I wouldn't know from experience. I make other herbal vinegar infusions and we go through gallons every year ~ I can barely make enough! :D

Sharkbytes said...

Wow, I think that would kill any bug, but I don't think I could get it down.

Anonymous said...

I am so trying this!! Plans for the weekend are harvest, harvest, harvest & we've got to make time for some horseradish projects. Thank-you for such great inspiration!!