Google+ What I Made Today: Fermenting Sustenance in Pickled Eggs

Sunday, May 24, 2015

Fermenting Sustenance in Pickled Eggs


Today I started a batch of pickled eggs ~ naturally fermented picked eggs. I haven't made these since the end of last summer. But now The Ladies are laying at their summer rate and I'm able to easily hold aside a couple dozen for (at least) two weeks for hard boiling. In case you're wondering why, fresh eggs, hard boiled, are impossible to peel.

If you've been following me for a while, you know I love fermenting food. A little salt brine, some flavorful botanicals, sometimes a bit of whey ... and magic happens.

So today I hard boiled some eggs, for on-hand fast-food over the coming days, as well as for fermenting into delicious, nutritious pickled eggs. I snagged some oregano, chives flowers, egyptian onion, horseradish leaf and a sprig of mugwort from the gardens, and layered them into a quart jar with 9 eggs and a cup of brine (1/2 teaspoon kosher salt to 1 cup of water). The brine is this only thing I measure and each time I make these (and everything else) the flavorful herbs I use depend on what's available and what my eyes fall on first.


In a couple of days they'll show signs of bubbling fermentation. I'll burp the jar and keep it on my kitchen counter for a few more days, or maybe a couple, or maybe less before I taste the first one. Oh, the anticipation!

But after that first taste I'll place them in cool storage for a couple/few months. Fermented eggs are a bit like wine in that they improve with age.

I'll be putting up several jars of these throughout the summer, to enjoy straight away, as well as to have some in cool storage to supplement the drop in egg production once the days start to shorten... right through to winter.

So yeah, fermenting sustenance. That's what I made today.

Peace.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Those eggs look sooooo good! Your blog and creativity inspires! thank you for sharing.

Leovi said...

Yes, it seems a good idea, I've never tried the pickled eggs!

BLOGitse said...

How interesting and tasty I'm sure! How long you can keep them in a jar if they are in a cool place?

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Thanks, Aga!

I love pickled eggs, Leovi ~ especially when made in this manner. Though I made them in vinegar for years and loved those too!

BLOGsite, essentially fermented foods keep indefinitely, though they continue to ferment, even in cool storage, so mouth-feel can become less appealing over time. I've had a batch or two of various ferments that got mushy, so I blended them up to make a sauce ~ delicious. As for these eggs, the longest I've kept them is about three months.

Carol said...

Those do look yummy!!! I'll have to pick up extra eggs at the farmers market this week to give this a try. The zucchini I tried last year was delish and has become a stable in my diet. I"m sure the eggs will too :)

Unknown said...

Mmmm you've got my mouth watering with these! Bet they taste delicious...I do love a pickled egg!

Karla B said...

This seems to be super cool.We don't have pickled eggs here.I think I'm going to try it.

GlorV1 said...

This sounds very interesting. I have never had pickled eggs. Great post.

Tammie Lee said...

i don't think that i have ever eaten a pickled egg.
your jar is beautiful, like art, like a bouquet of flowers.

Unknown said...

I haven't had pickled eggs in ages. This sounds yummy and easy.