Google+ What I Made Today: Rhubarb Cake

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Rhubarb Cake

The garden rhubarb is ripe for harvest so it's time to create some kitchen magic with it! In the morning, while the world is still cool, is my seasonal time for baking. Today I made a Rhubarb cake, adapted from a recipe at Food52.

You can see that I tasted it and it's so good I'll most definitely be making more for the freezer. I rarely bake or roast or broil in the heat of the summer months, so having treats like this tucked away is joyful strategy!

Here's my adapted recipe and I encourage you to make it ~ as is, or your own adaptation ~ because it's really, really good!

Rhubarb Cake

Crumb
3 T  rolled oats
3 T  sunflower seeds, roasted
3 T  whole wheat flour
¼ c  brown sugar
½ t  sea salt
3 T  unsalted butter

Cake
2       eggs (from my Ladies)
1 c    sugar
½ t    sea salt
2 t     almond extract (homemade, of course)
6 T    unsalted butter
1½ c whole wheat flour
2 c    rhubarb, chopped (in any way)

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Blend together the Crumb ingredients with a fork and set aside.

In a bowl, beat the eggs and add the sugar, salt, almond extract and butter and beat well (and with love). Fold in the flour. Fold in the rhubarb. Pour into a buttered 8" pan (I line the bottom of mine with parchment paper, though it's not necessary, just a habit of mine). Top with the Crumb mixture.

Bake for 60 minutes (or when a cake tester comes out clean). Let cool. Cut and enJOY!


So yeah, that's what I made today. I'll like make another tomorrow morning, with some possible variations. And the morning after. And, well, you see where I'm going with this.

Peace.

7 comments:

sheila 77 said...

Thanks, Rose, this is perfect timing as I was just thinking this morning that I need to find a rhubarb cake recipe (I have one but it makes a soggy cake so I'm looking for another one).

ShadowDogDesigns said...

Looks delicious, Rose! Will definitely file the recipe away. Hope I can find some decent rhubarb here in the desert. Thanks for sharing.

Carol said...

Perfect timing...I just harvested some more rhubarb and was going to freeze it all as we're already tired of the pies this season. Will make some of this this week as Hubs is more of a cake person than pie anyhow. For summer baking I have a small convection oven that doesn't heat up the house and is perfect for just the 2 of us. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!!!!!

Martha Kisling said...

Looks delicious!

Tammie Lee said...

i have never thought of making almond extract, that is awesome. yum, this sounds so good. thank you for sharing the recipe!

Unknown said...

I love rhubarb. Now I'm drooling and plotting. I see a cake in the near future.

sheila 77 said...

Hello Rose, I made this cake, it was delicious, It's good with yogurt.
I'll certainly make it again (and again).
Thanks!