Google+ What I Made Today: Aunt Mary's Sweet Geranium Spray

Monday, June 1, 2015

Aunt Mary's Sweet Geranium Spray

This is a simple spray I've been making for years. It was inspired by my Aunt Mary, a woman of great heart and humor. Its fragrance is light and crisp, clean and airy, words that seem fitting to Aunt Mary's spirit.


Yet the inspiration for this spray was born from a memory. Years ago I was shopping with my mother and her sister Mary in some funky little artist coop type of place, somewhere around Amherst, NY. Mary discovered some scented sprays, one of which was geranium (and another, carnation). She declared in that moment how much she loved the scent of this plant and she began spraying herself, the air, my mother, me ... even the salesclerk ... all the while laughing and enjoying that magical moment.

I also recall wandering her gardens with her as she would pluck a leaf, massage it a bit, and inhale the fragrance. Deeply. And then she'd invite me (insist, really) to do the same. 


To this day, whenever I catch the scent of geranium I recall the playful Spirit of this very playful woman. I created this spray with the intention that it carry a bit of that playful Nature as well as the clean, crisp scent of natural geranium into your home and into your heart.

And this is another botanical creation I'll be featuring during the Open Studios & Block Party weekend at Whiting Mills in sunny Winsted, Connecticut. If you're in the area ~ stop by June 6 and 7 to check it out ~ and all the other amazing talents!

Peace.

9 comments:

Christine said...

sounds wonderful!

Linda said...

What a lovely memory! Things like that stay with us for a lifetime. Thanks for sharing and reminding me of some of my own memories.

Tammie Lee said...

She sounds lovely
how wonderful that she inspired you
i can almost smell it
yum

GlorV1 said...

Sounds wonderful. We always have someone we think of when smell a certain scent. You are so talented. Do you sell these bottles of memories.? Thanks for sharing.

Carol said...

So wish I lived closer so I could pop in visit with you at Whiting Mills! This sounds like a delightful spray and the memory that goes with it was a delight too. Thank you so much for sharing :)

stefanie stark said...

All these little bottles filled with the wonderful scent of geranium look wonderful on your post. I recently bought a little bottle of geranium scent here in Germany in a little Indian shop and I love it.

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

Such a lovely memory to go with the scent of geranium.

Love and hugs
Maarit

Unknown said...

What a charming memory and scents really do bring it all back

Mascha said...

How lovely! I've always especially loved the scent of geraniums...