Google+ What I Made Today: Good Hydration for Every Season

Saturday, July 29, 2023

Good Hydration for Every Season

We have an unusual cool spell upon us in my little realm of the world. I will welcome the springlike temps projected for the coming week, as they offer odd refreshment to the recent days of more typical summer heat and humidity. 

A friend recently said that I was "wired for this weather," meaning the summer heat, and in a way she may be right. I grew up just south of the so-called Mason Dixon line, in southern Delaware, where heat and humidity consumed the months from spring to autumn. I learned from old-timers there that work was for the morning 'n' evening hours, while rest in shade was for mid-day. This pattern holds wisdom that is reflected in most life, a reflection we'd be wise to reclaim from the insidious 'n' unsustainable systems that consume us. But, that's a rant for another day. 

In 2005 I posted a blog entry expressing the heat of a late July day. I wrote: 

"I worked up a sweat just taking the dog out to tend to his business. So, we’re talkin’ stroll... stand... stroll... back indoors to drink a big glass home-brew mineral water. What might that be, you ask? Well, it changes from day to day, but at the moment, it's a strong infusion of nettles and oatstraw, strained and diluted in more water with a sprinkle of sea salt. You can squeeze a bit of lemon in that too, if you like."

But the heart of that entry was sharing a blend that had been shared with me by Jenny Fairservis MSOM L.Ac.. It's a blend I return to often, and one I've shared with folx for decades now.

Electrolyte and Muscle Relaxing Drink
1 Tablespoon raw local Honey 
1 dash to 1 teaspoon of raw Apple Cider Vinegar 
1 pinch of Sea Salt 
1 tea cup to 12oz. of Warm Water 

Mix honey, salt and vinegar in the bottom of the cup then add warm water and stir until the honey has dissolved. This should taste good, the amount of vinegar is up to you. 

During summer's extreme heat I'll sometimes make a an 8 ounce base of the honey, vinegar, and salt mixture so I can simply add a tablespoon to a class of water, shake/stir, and get back to the work or rest rhythm of my day.

So now I document this here, for you, and for me. So whatever the weather, do your best to stay hydrated, and if it's hot, cool yourself down with a cool, damp cloth wrapped behind the neck as you sip this, or some other nourishing 'n' sustaining beverage. 

A version of this entry was originally posted July 30, 2005 on whatever venue I was using at the time.

Peace. ðŸ•Š

No comments: