Google+ What I Made Today: Patience

Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Patience


We're perched on the rim of autumn's arrival in my part of the world, and my work table awaits me with projects, mending and repairs, art journaling, and some adulting to be addressed before November's arrival.  And even though November's arrival still feels a long way off, methinks we all know... tempus fugit. 

And it's because of that winged time that my focus points only to the gardens right now, on the harvests, and the preservations in progress. Today there's Lunga di Napoli, a winter squash, that needs harvesting so the curing may begin... there's harvested crabapples that need attention... autumn crops that need some love, and the daily garden harvests 'n' maintenance that go with growing 'n' preserving a lion's share of our food. 

It's work, no doubt, yet it is profound enJOYment and magical Medicine that nourishes 'n' sustains us in oh so many ways. Plus, I dig "shopping" in our pantries, in a far out way. 

So today, as my work table holds its pattern in this seasonal suspended animation, I'll be harvesting green beans for dinner as well as for the dehydrator... making crabapple juice... prepping tomatoes to dry, and bag for the freezer (for future 
purée), harvesting those winter squash, some amaranth, broom corn, various greens, summer squash, and more... and managing the seasonal lists for the days ahead. 

So for my creative friends participating in this week's What's on Your Workdesk? Wednesday, that's my deal... a work table in the waiting. And I do look forward to the days of opening a jar of homemade garden soup for a quick meal so I can catch up on those projects patiently waiting.

Peace. 🕊 
 

8 comments:

Lindart said...

Your post reminds me of when I was in my early 30's and we had a HUGE garden with lots of vegetables to harvest, tomatoes to can and make sauce of, veggies to freeze for the winter...but now I'm lucky (in a different house) to get tomatoes in pots planted in the spring, and this year even that didn't happen as I was sick all spring. So no harvesting for me, but I can picture and remember what it was like to have a big garden like you have! Enjoy! Have a great week, Lindart #19

Sarah Brennan said...

SOunds like plenty of preserves and soups will be the order of the day when you finish harvesting Rose. Enjoy!!! Stay safe and Happy WOYWW. Sarah #4

Crafting With Jack said...

Home grown produce is without doubt a wonderful thing, a lot of hard work, but a lot of satisfaction and a better taste than you get in the supermarket. Happy WOYWW. Angela #10

Helen said...

Sounds like you've been busy in your garden. Happy WOYWW Helen #1

Lunch Lady Jan said...

I really enjoyed reading all about your harvesting and preserving Rose - I used to do a lot more than I do now and I’ve never really bottled or dried anything, mostly just froze stuff. I didn’t even know you could dehydrate green beans! But I do absolutely love making my own soups, the chopping of vegetables is very therapeutic and good for the soul, one of life’s simple pleasures! Thanks for sharing your different sort of workdesk, I really enjoyed it xx
Hugs LLJ 3 xx

Lynnecrafts said...

Sounds like you have green fingers and a brilliant garden or smallholding Rose. I’m in awe of your productivity.
Take care and have a good week
Hugs
Lynnecrafts 16 xx

Christine said...

I think this is the first time we have met so I read back a bit . . . . beautiful posts, great thinking and projects.
Good to meet with you
Enjoy your week
Christine #15

Julia Dunnit said...

Ah Rose, I totally get it, it may speak work but it FEELS like joy, so you can do it with ease. It must be lovely to live off the fruits of your labour! Love that your table is in a holding pattern, so much better than the neglect I've been heaping on mine! Lovely to meet you!