Google+ What I Made Today: Sweet Green Goodness

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Sweet Green Goodness

Today I started a batch of comfrey leaf infused vinegar, another mineral-rich food staple. I also started a batch of vanilla extract. I prepped enough organic vanilla beans for 24 ounces, only to discover that I only had 16 ounces of brandy. I did the best I could with what I had while I had it, and will get more brandy during tomorrow's errands so I can top it off.
I harvested a nice big batch of nettle leaves today. Beautiful Urtica dioica. I leveraged the medicinal verve of this plant while harvesting by rubbing some sting into my left hand where stiffness and discomfort started to settle in during the winter. I did this to my right ankle last summer with sweet results and plan to do it again this year. I'll hit my hand again too. Anyway ...

I harvested a bunch of wild ramps and a couple green onions from the garden. Back in the kitchen, I brought some water to the boil, added a bit of sea salt, and added the nettle and chopped ramps and onions and let it simmer until all was sweet and tender. Spring tonic soup, full with flavor and dense with nutrition graced the dinner table. I had mine with miso, The Boy had his plain.

That's what I made today. Peace.

6 comments:

Healing Woman said...

Love your Green Goodness tonic. Definitely will try it..nettles may be a bit hard to find though.

Plantress said...

Are you saying that the sting is good for arthritis? I have hip pain that glucosamine and fish oil and flax oil only ease slightly.

Tammie Lee said...

oh my spring really is thriving for you and I love seeing all your preparations! Nice to hear that the nettle helped your ankle and sense it will help your wrist (though I have never tried it). hug to you from a rainy NW day (and me)

DK said...

That is so cool... granted I'd probably make it wrong and poison myself or something ;p

Jasmine said...

This all looks so wonderful. Love the new layout of your blog. It seems fitting that it has light now that we enter Beltane xxJ

Kim said...

What a yummy and productive day.