Google+ What I Made Today: Herbals & Sustenance

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Herbals & Sustenance

Today I started two (overdue) tinctures, both handy medicinals to possess during flu season. One of Eupatorium cannabinum, commonly called boneset and another of Sambucus nigra (fuctus), the european elder berry. I tried something a little different this go around with the elder berry. I simmered some berries first, allowed it to cool and then added it to the maceration jar with more dried berries and enough grain alcohol to compensate for the water to make about 40-50% alcohol ratio. I'm not sure what my peers will think of this method, but as I often say, "I just do what the voices tell me." Or as my friend Kate says, "what the Rice Crispies tell me." I have a good feeling about it.
I made a couple-few hundred capsules of glucosamine/MSM for my mom as well as some Salix alba (white willow bark) for a client. Capsule making is very Zen.
I harvested a little green onion, sage and calendula (yep! It's still blooming) to go into the roasted turban squash puree, which will be served as a pasta sauce. The pasta is about to be served with a nice green confetti salad topped with a homemade garlic-ginger-flax seed dressing and a few calendula petals (thus the confetti!). That's what I made today.

14 comments:

Misobel (Mary) said...

Looks like you had a very productive day!

Meghann said...

Oh your life sounds like you live in the rhythm of nature and the song of the universe. How I envy your clarity!

knittingdragonflies said...

You must be already now. I like how in tune with nature you are.
Vicki

Ananda said...

Rose, I often make my Elderberry elixir that way with extremely good results. There's something about the warmth that really opens up the berry's healing power.
Let us know how it turns out.

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

I have heard that elderberry tonics are extremely good for a person. I know my mother made lots and lots of jelly with them! I went and gathered the panacles of berries for her...I was very frightened of the stinkbugs that loved to ride along on them...

Julia said...

That is what I call a day full of meaning. The capsule making is very interesting. I am interested in how much willow bark is used in the preparation.

Cupcake Mama said...

Wow, very productive!!

Pop Art Diva Enterprises said...

Okay, I'm impressed! Wow. I am at the stage of 1 oz. Red Wine with 6 garlic cloves, blend for 5 minutes and take 1/4 tsp every half hour for a natural antibiotic. But that's good enough for me and my sinus infection right now!

Thanks for stopping by my post 13 reasons why I started to paint the old fashioned way again and I'll be Tweeting at you tomorrow!

Laura Rose said...

Rose, have you ever thought of writing a book(s)...recipe/herb stuff...just came to me! You already have all the great pics too!

Harnett-Hargrove said...

You have a beautiful interesting blog!
-Jayne

Nessa said...

The jars look so intense.

Flash 55 - Favors

Tammie Lee said...

I can imagine that capsule making is very zen, in fact I have experienced it. Flowers growing outside are in our past.....
I look forward to hearing how you like your elderberry tincture.

Kim said...

I love capsule making for that very reason.

Erik said...

Thank you for sharing. I love your work and the peeks you provide into your wonderful life.