Google+ What I Made Today: Fresh Starts

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Fresh Starts

The winter robins were hanging around today. I noticed them enjoying the holly berries when I opened the bedroom windows for a mid-winter air-out. Late morning called me out into the mild thaw and I sat on the deck with a hot cup of roasted dandelion root infusion and again witnessed the robins, this time enjoying the cedar berries. The robins are an ally of mine. They come close and offer nods and stares and other gestures that offer answers to my questions. Today was no exception. The robin is a universal symbol of New Beginnings and Fresh Starts, so I sat in the cool sunshine and focused on those things as I formed my query for ol' robin redbreast. No sooner did my question come clear that a robin flew from cedar to cherry, right in front of me. A brief conversation, complete with fitting nods and head-twists finished with flight into the east. And several other robins joined the flight into the direction of morning's promise.

Given plans I have in place for the coming week this experience felt fitting and validating.

I started a new page in my journal today and I have a new mattress to rest my ol' bones on this evening. Garden seeds are almost ready to be ordered and some vital aspects of my life are falling into place. As a couple friends of mine conveyed earlier today, Life is Good.

Count your blessings. Peace.

12 comments:

Andrea said...

beautiful post! Love that you were able to do a mid-winter air out - maybe we'll do that this weekend when it gets up to the mid-30's. Sounds wonderful!

Unknown said...

I loved this post. It was so visual for me. I could see you carrying on this conversation and felt as though I was eavesdropping. Please forgive me! :)

Jasmine said...

I love this? Can I make it into felt?

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Andrea - it did, in fact, heat up to balmy 35F today. It was glorious!

Beverly - no forgiveness needed. I'm delighted that joined me!

Jasmine - what a sweet compliment. I would be honored. :)

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

I love robins! We rarely see them here. I had forgotten what large birds they are...

storybeader said...

a beautiful, yet tragic, piece in your journal. Loving the colors.

j said...

Your words are so comfortable, or maybe comforting. Very peaceful.

Kim said...

Cool new page - I'm finally getting around to writing and reading blogs and loved catching up.

Reeni said...

It was warm enough here yesterday to open the windows for a bit of fresh air. Today it's back to snowing. No robins for me - just crows.

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

That is a beautiful picture. I would love to do journaling like this, but I'm too impatient

Julia said...

I did not realize the symbolism associated with robins. It's been storming hard on our coast for the past few days and I've seen three rainbows and thought of them as a sign of new beginnings with the rain that brings plant growth. Then yesterday morning and again today there were groupings of 30 or more robins in my trees.

I think these all must be good omens. :) Thanks!!

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Thanks for the comments everyone!

And Julia - sounds like some good omens to me!