Google+ What I Made Today: Black Gold

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Black Gold


Today I harvested more berries … black currants. I must have a total of four quarts picked and there's still more coming ripe, maybe one more quart or so. 


One batch will become a cordial, another a sauce or maybe a syrup … the rest might become preserves or maybe a small batch of mead. What makes manifest will depend on the time, space and energy I am willing to bend to my will … or the will of the mighty black currant.

Whatever is made, I am confident it will be more valuable than gold. Peace.

.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Harvested mine yesterday ... smaller yeild and I hope that I can make a syrup with it.

LetaMarieDesigns said...

Gosh, I have not had mead in years. Whatever you make with your 'black gold' it is sure to be good!

Theresa MacNaughton said...

How funny! I mentioned black currants in my last comment. :) Do you have a special syrup recipe that you would recommend? :)

JDConwell said...

I used to make a kind of bread/roll with nuts, black currants and other fruits. We called it "Purina Fighter Chow" because we made it for the stick jocks in the SCA. It was all we could get them to stop and eat. :~)

What beautiful photos! Thanks for the memory...

Gilded Owl Musings said...

How do you find the time? do you grow time, too? Lol! those look delicious!

Sharkbytes said...

never heard of black currants- what do they taste like?

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Faerie Moon … Basically a "simple syrup" approach … I measure the currants and measure out an equal amount of sugar … add the currants to a heavy pan with a half-to-one-inch of water and bring to the boil … then turn down to slow simmer just until the sugar is dissolved … then I add one 3" cinnamon stick and let it steep in the syrup until it is cool and ready for jarring-up.

Of course, you can add the cinnamon earlier and hot pack the syrup for canning.

Gilded Owl … I don't find time, I make it. And while I wouldn't say that I grow time, I do bend it on occasion, but only when it's absolutely necessary.

Sharkbytes … they have a unique flavor all their own. It's a delicious, earthy berry flavor!