Google+ What I Made Today: Currant Cordial Jelly

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Currant Cordial Jelly


I invested yesterday morning with my mother-in-law. She is an expert jelly and jam maker. I've make jams and preserves over the years, but never jelly … so I had the opportunity to witness her process and help out a bit too.

When I got home I simmered up some of my red and black currants and strained them for the juice. This morning, while it was all fresh in my mind and heart, I made a small batch of currant cordial jelly. Yeah, I couldn't help myself in changing things up a bit. I added some brandy. It looks like it's setting up nicely and I'll likely pick up more pectin during my afternoon travels … and I should have another currant harvest, enough for another small batch … and I think I'll add a touch of cinnamon to that one. Not only that, but I found a couple quarts of wild grapes in the freezer from last season and made a juice. I see some wild grape jelly in my future too. Wonder what I'll add to that?

That's what I made today. Peace.

.

5 comments:

Vincent James Pia said...

Mmmm!!! Looks like it's going to be tasty! :-)

Wizardess said...

So bright & pretty. I bet it will be great to use during the fall & winter holidays!

LetaMarieDesigns said...

I would so love to try the one with brandy in it. Please let us know how that tastes when you can use it.

Bloomsandbugs said...

Your blog does seem like a walk into the woods. I can almost smell all the berries from these pics.

Audrey said...

Simply beautiful Rose!
My maternal Grandmother was a jelly and preserve maker extraordinaire but sadly I never picked it up. Bless you for keeping the tradition alive :)

Audrey