Google+ What I Made Today: Botanical Liqueurs

Monday, November 25, 2013

Botanical Liqueurs


Today I started three small batches of botanical liqueurs, experiments all. Thus the small batches.

The first one I made is an adaptation of SNAP, made by Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction. I measured a blend of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, rooibis, clove, astragalus  and vanilla beans, then covered it with brandy. The molasses and sugar will be added after these herbs have macerated for 6-8 weeks and I've had a chance to taste test without the sweetness.

After I got this going I looked through my shelves of dried botanicals and intuitively picked out herbs that might be interesting together. This throw-em-all-in-jar technique is "new" to me. I tend to make such things as "simples," one herb at a time, and then blend the finished products together to create libations. I have to admit that the risk in this approach is quite exciting! In any event, this blend held goji berries, cardamom seed, fennel, astragalus, vanilla beans, orange peel, lemon peel and, of course, brandy.

In the third jar I lovingly combined cocoa, banana chips, astragalus and vanilla beans, topped it off with the brandy, checked my notes, made sure they were all labeled, and shelved them in a place of honor, with lots of love and offered them a blessing before going on with my "weekend" tasks.

That's what I made today.

Peace.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I think your 'instinctual' hand at the apothecary shelves is brilliant, and feels echo-y of what I sometimes do crafting an oil blend. Please let me sample these creations in their time. I can feel a whole world of bright-n-shiny waiting for magpie's attention. ;-)

Dawn Hill said...

I am of the mind to mix it up! I know I always have-no sense in having 2 jars brewing when I could do it in 1! ;) I am sure you libations will be a delight!

Alicia Louise McKitis Tremper said...

It is a rare day indeed for me to follow recipes exactly; they must meet my nose inspection...if it doesn't blend into the correct aroma I continue to adjust. If the mix whisks me back to my Grandmother Huldah's pantry, I know I've got it right.

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

I expect there to be sampling for you, Phillip and the two that follow you up here.

Once the cordials are adjusted and sweetened to my liking, I tend to let my cordials and liqueurs sit in the bottle for many months before imbibing. Magic seems to happens in the bottle, even though some insist that it's not so with this process. I don't care what anyone says, my experience is my Guide.

But I *must* have a bottle of something, somewhere ready to be enjoyed. Hmm. I'll have to poke around that particular cabinet …

Rue said...

It all sounds divine and delightful!

Tammie Lee said...

oh my my, these sound amazing!
I might have to try one or more as well. My favorite to make is rose petals, but i think i have made it a bit too sweet, but no one complains ;-)

thank you for the stamping idea!

Tammie Lee said...

one more thing, oldest royal wine:
http://www.livescience.com/41418-oldest-palace-wine-cellar.html

Unknown said...

Yum -let your muse be your guide. I'm sure these will all be lovely and hope I am in on the taste testing. And now me thinks I may just have to add another jar of brewing love to my shelf. Hmmm, what shall mine be.