Google+ What I Made Today: The Face of February

Monday, January 26, 2015

The Face of February

Yesterday was art journal day. Sunday's become a day that I invite folks to join me in the studio to partake in some communal creativity. I was joined by a dear friend and we agreed to set up a spread depicting the Face of February for this final week of January. February is, from my view, a measure of linear time that's short, and yet a measure of seasonal time that seems to lag and drag. It's a month that expresses dichotomies similar to those shared in my Painted Meditation, Abstract Medicine post. So, the idea of Facing February felt fitting.

This spread began with lines symbolic of rigidity, and words that were fittingly reflective and projective. The palette was chosen intuitively, the Face of February blocked in, spontaneous line added, and layers of dim light 'n' darkness painted into the background. The Face was given a hint of color and then she was coiffed.

When I looked up I discovered that my friend had also given her Face red hair. Funny, that. In any event I've already started adding to the page that you see here. I love setting up a multi-day spread in this way ... and watching it evolve.

And now ... I'm fixing a cup of tea and will sit at the window to watch the snow fall. Apparently we're expecting quite a load of it!

Peace.

9 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Fantastic journal pages! Hugs, Valerie

Carol said...

Love your page spread! That's pretty close to how I imagine February would look. I've been watching the forecast all day today and your neck of the woods is really supposed to get blasted. Keep warm and safe. I'm keeping busy this week working with yarn and fabrics.

Tammie Lee said...

so interesting to consider Feb through your words, thoughts and feelings. it is my birth month and as i read your post i thought, perhaps i needed a time to be born when our part of the world is slow and quiet from winter. a time to slide in almost unnoticed. the early pisces tend to be quiet and shy until they are not ;-) when it comes to red heads i think of my mom, a leo and a red head.... so fun to read your post and see your art.

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Thanks Valerie, and hugs back atcha!

Yep, Carol, snow has fallen and my sweet spouse brought me coffee as he was heading out to start the shoveling. How sweet is that? It's still coming down and is expected to continue. We'll be safe and warm!

And Tammie, I love your comment about sliding in unnoticed. I'm familiar with that feeling. :)

Alexandra MacVean said...

This is a fantastic face. I LOVE the light shade of blue and the soft text/letters on the skin. How fun! :)

GlorV1 said...

Love your February face and the meaning behind it. Stay warm and safe.

Sharkbytes said...

Yup, that looks like February. OK... I've gotten as far as thinking about what I could talk myself into that's artsy, tonight.

Unknown said...

Glad I was able to sit for a spell with a cup a tea and chat with you two beautiful ladies. Love seeing the evolution after I left.

sheila 77 said...

Love that face and love the abstract jagged scenery in the background too. What a good idea to have an art journalling day with friends, especially when something as good as this results from it.