Google+ What I Made Today: Wild Friendship Soup

Monday, April 27, 2015

Wild Friendship Soup


Today I harvested a respectable bucket of spring nettles. Here they are enjoying their first (and likely only) rinse. I've been looking forward to this day... to my first spring tonic miso soup with nettles. And, as the generosity of the universe would have it, I'll be adding ramps as well, thanks to a dear friend who shared her abundant, wild patches of ramps this afternoon.


As is typical for me, no recipe, but I have chicken stock that I'm watering down and when the time comes ripe for super I'll bring that to the boil, lovingly stir in the nettles, turn down the heat to a gentle simmer, cover and let the minerals release for 20-minutes or so, tossing in the chopped ramps in the last 5 minutes or so. Once it's off the heat I stir in some light, mellow miso (which resonates in spring for me) and serve.

Miso soup with nettles is a springtime tonic staple for me. Chickweed, too, and I spotted a patch of chickweed that I might leverage for a lunchtime soup tomorrow. Possibly with an egg drop variation.

So, yeah ... that's what I made today. Wild friendship soup.

If this Green, herby stuff interests you, click over to When Weeds Whisper for some more Green Medicine!

Peace.

7 comments:

Sadie´sGedankenfülle said...

Hello Rose
also here in Austria there are some variants of nettle soup, it is very popular in the spring, as it is healthy and rich in vitamins.
My grandmother cooked this soup is best, but unfortunately they never succeed so well, but in my memory it is always with me.
I wish you a sunny spring.
Sadie

GlorV1 said...

I've never eaten nettles. I looked it up to see what it's composed of. It does have a lot of nutrients. Enjoy your nettle soup.:)

Tammie Lee said...

yum, that sounds so good and perfect. do you wear gloves while picking the nettles or simply snip and let them land in a basket, no hands involved? I wish i could find some here to collect.

Tammie Lee said...

plus, such beautiful photos.

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

No gloves for me, Tammie. I pinch the tops with thumb and forefinger and place them in a basket or bucket. I rarely get stung when harvesting spring nettle for food. I have a relationship with the plant. :)

Besides, the stings have a benefit. In fact, later in the season I practice "self flagellation" (as they say), on the areas of my body that either have confirmed arthritis or any of the symptoms.

Crazy, huh? Works wonders, though!

Healing Woman said...

I can never wait to see what you will come up with next. Since I like kale in my soup, I'll bet nettles would be good too. Thanks so much for sharing this Rose.

sheila 77 said...

This is fascinating. I had to google "Ramps" as it is not a word we use here, turns out it is wild leeks?
Whatever, your soup sounds delicious and nourishing.