Google+ What I Made Today: My Way to Winter's Pantry

Monday, September 6, 2010

My Way to Winter's Pantry


That's right. More tomato puree. Saturday's farmers' market yielded, among other things, another 70 pounds of tomatoes for me to work with as I patiently wait for my own to come ripe in the garden. So in the past week I've put by enough puree to have a quart a week over the coming year. Not too shabby, and compared to last year, it's a outright goldmine.

So down to the winter pantry in the basement they go. That's what I made today.

Peace.

7 comments:

Divaeva said...

yummy yummy for the tummy! :)

LazyTcrochet said...

That's what I need to do tomorrow.et

Healing Woman said...

They are BEAUTIFUL! You are making me hungry for homemade lasagna.

K(Banterings of a Basketcase) said...

I'm looking at my poor tomato plant with only about 5 tomatoes left on it- the get eaten faster than they can grow- maybe I need to find a farmer's market :(

Unknown said...

How do you make this, and how do you get it to keep for the whole year?

Reeni said...

That is one awesome sight! You totally rock!

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Svehex, there are many books and other resources out there that explain the process. Simply, you prepare your tomatoes however you like, get them hot, wash, inspect and sterilize your jars and lids … load them up, leaving appropriate head room and then processing the jars in boiling water for appropriate time. In this case, I processed the quarts for 40-minutes and pints for 25. As they cool you can hear the tops seal close and after another seal inspection I label them and put them in my pantry for use all winter and then some.

I hope that helps! This process is "good" for high acid veggies and pickles. Lower acid veggies would need to be processed using a pressure canner.

Get some books - more than one - read up and even seek out an experienced canner near you (we're everywhere!) to help you get started. It's so simple and so worth the effort! :)

Thanks everyone for your comments. And yes, Reeni - I do rock. Well, some days! :D