Google+ What I Made Today: Horseradish, Carefully

Monday, November 15, 2010

Horseradish, Carefully

Yesterday The Boy dug up some of the horseradish from the garden.

I trimmed off the greens and washed the roots - outdoors. I don't know about you, but I don't want all that sandy soil going down my drain. Better for it to return to garden in a direct way.


Today brought the cleaned roots into the kitchen and scraped the skin and any imbedded earth from the small-to-moderate sized roots. I love the aroma at this point, it is decidedly horseradish, warm and stimulating, but not biting. Not yet. I chopped the roots into even-sized pieces, placed the pieces into the food processor and chopped them up a bit. Then I added some apple cider vinegar and sea salt (I eyeball it) and let it whirl again, until it was quite fine, because that's the way I like it.

I carefully removed the lid and carefully transferred it to a canning jar and carefully capped the jar with a plastic lid.

Carefully, because the aroma at this point will knock your socks off and send your sinuses into orbit. A plastic lid, because a metal one will corrode from the vinegar.

That's what I made today. Peace.

10 comments:

Nicole said...

this sounds wonderful. I am so excited to now read more of your gardening stuff because we have .. a yard! How hard is it to grow this? When do I grow it & where do you get the seeds?

astitchintime said...

Not for me, but I'm sure when Charlie and I share a garden he will be interested. It seems you never stop harvesting from your garden. :)

Healing Woman said...

You really know what you are doing. Try the horseradish with corn on the cob. Dip the corn into a mixture of warm/hot butter and horseradish and you have a gourmet dish..honest. Yours looks fabulous!

Kim said...

I love horseradish - and homemade is the only way to go

Sharkbytes said...

Horseradish is a bit too intense for me, but I bet the fresh stuff is the best.

A Mom Writing said...

Good for you to make horseradish! I would love to try-- definitely a little intimidated.

Unknown said...

Oh wow, fresh horseradish! I'm in total envy. Now all you need is some fresh ginger =)

Tammie Lee said...

I wonder if that would clear up a sinus infection... something I am not prone too. But if one were seriously stuffed up.... maybe that sniff coming out of the processor would be a good thing. Anyway, you are so inspiring.

Campbell Jane said...

Oh yum! You amaze me! I love horseradish in my mashed potatoes!

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Herbs 'n' Chocolate ~ horseradish practically grows itself. Find someone that grows it and get dome root pieces and plant it from spring to autumn - it's a very forgiving green friend!

Healing Woman - I'll have to try the corn next summer when it's in season again!

Tammie ~ horseradish has quite a medicinal reputation and has had all sorts of healing claims attached to it!

Campbell Jane ~ Me too! :D