Google+ What I Made Today: One Fell Swoop

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

One Fell Swoop

Turnip harvests. Steamed turnip. Turnip mashed with russets. Braised turnip greens.

Organic peach harvests. Time and space shared in fine, fine company.

Peach preserves, enhanced with a stick of organic cinnamon.

Peach and rose petal cordial. This will need time (damn it) to become what it is meant to be.

Bean harvests. Simmered al dente and macerated in extra virgin olive oil, garlic and sea salt.

Sacred space and time to … Be.

An honor to the season, as the sun picks up his rod and dagger for westward travels.

Calendula and rose cream. Plus salves and balms too.

Having missed more than a few blog posts over the past several days, I thought I'd make one fell swoop to catch you up from this mind-boggling week. Mind-boggling, yet productive and healing nonetheless.

Peace.

14 comments:

Dori T said...

Everything looks so yummy, except for the turnips. No matter how I disguised them, they always left a icky taste for me. sigh. That cordial is looking delicious too.

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful !

Laura said...

such a lovely way to spend your time...i'd love to know the recipe for your cordial... :)
blessings
~*~

Lucas said...

Hello!
Beautiful photos.
Is that a Saint Francis statue?

Winter blessings from Brazil.
:D

Unknown said...

Now I am hungry. I don't think I have ever tasted a turnip though.

Healing Woman said...

I envy you those sunflowers. Something ate mine early on and I only have two left. Yours are glorious. The food looks glorious too!

mizdarlin said...

What a great way to show 'what you made'..you also made some very nice photographs!
(From Etsy Promos, commenting as per your request!)

Divaeva said...

jealous of your fabulous sunflower view from the back door!

Amy Lilley Designs said...

Absolutely beautiful...enjoy your bounty!!!

Rue said...

Wow!

I discovered a year ago that I actually like turnip roasted with potatoes, onion, carrots and whatever else I can find. Yum.

Brizel Handcrafts said...

YUM... i now feel very suddenly hungry !
Happy Lammas :)

Tammie Lee said...

peaches and roses
calendula and roses
ooh ah yum

will you be selling your fine cream?

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

@Laura ~ no recipe, really. I mostly work intuitively for the things I make for myself. In this case I chopped and lightly crushed fresh, organic peaches,pleased them in a glass vessel over a handful of dried, organic pink rose petals, covered with brandy and a little grain. I think I tossed a split vanilla bean (organic) in there too. I let it sit and macerate for several days before adding sugar (to taste) - but sugar can be added anytime. After several weeks go by, I strain it and let it sit another several weeks before adjusting for flavor. Once I'm happy with it, I strain again, bottle, label and set it way for several months to further mellow. Easy!

Hi Lucas! Yes, that is St. Francis. :) And summer blessings to you!

Tammie - Until such time that I can make a stable cream, resistant to mold, without putting anything yucky in it, I won't be selling it. This batch was an experiment too, using a "heavier" oil base and fresh calendula for both oil and water. It has a very green, earthy scent, which might not appeal to many (poor sots). And being heavier, it's more like a "night cream" than the lighter stuff you tried once. :)

Tammie Lee said...

I understand and wish you the best finding the right recipe.